Sunday, March 3, 2019

Week 7 - Workshop and Socializing

What a week! We got yet more snow, did the winter workshop and I had 3 social engagements to boot, not including the Wine & Dine on Saturday. It went by in a blur.

The weather was so miserable Monday afternoon that everyone skipped knitting. That's some serious weather but it was nice to stay home and cozy while the snow flew.

Good thing it wasn't a ton of snow because the Winter Workshop was Tuesday. We all went in early to set up and it went swimmingly. Good attendance and everyone seemed happy with it. I would have loved to leave early but Anne, Rene and I were meeting Amanda for dinner at BW's in Ashland so there was no point leaving before 5:00. We had a great time catching up and the food, as always, was great. I didn't get the loaded tots. Shocking!

Wednesday was spent getting ready for round 2 of the workshop on Thursday, this time on East Campus. We had some set up issues but it was a good thing they'd prepped 2 rooms instead of 1 because the ceiling started leaking in our first session so we moved to the other room for the rest of the day. I had lunch in the cafeteria with Darla, which is always nice. I need to make sure to make more lunch plans with her now that she's back in Lincoln. Having come in early again, I left directly from East Campus when the workshop was over so was home in Wahoo just after 4:00. I was so exhausted that I sat like a lump and went to bed at 9:00, barely reading at all before falling asleep. When I woke up at 4:00, there was no falling back sleep so I got up and streamed/knitted until it was time to get ready for work.

I got some sad news on Friday night via Facebook of all things. My friend Kate died! Her boss, who I know from Husker Cats, messaged me that he had bad news and I thought it would be about a cat. I was shocked to hear it was Kate. Anne and I had had a lunch scheduled with her at the end of January but she cancelled. I'm wishing I had pressed to reschedule. Kate was a total sweetheart and one of the kindest people ever. I will miss her.

The Wine & Dine was Saturday and when I stopped at the library that morning, there were lots of things still up in the air. We had no snacks for during the social hour. Denise called the caterer, who said he'd take care of it but that would cost way more than our usual CostCo cheese tray. We also hadn't heard from the woman who said she'd decorate. I left the library at noon with candle holders to wash, worried that so much was still undone. I shouldn't have worried because it all went fine. The appetizer spread was elaborate and delicious, the meal was also a cut above normal and it was snowing again so people stayed in the bar after dinner, which was a first for me. I got home at 10:00 and was ready to relax.

Relax I did. We'd gotten about 9" of snow so I called John and he said he'd be there at 3:00 so I showered and got busy inside. It was a typical chore day with laundry and such but it was lovely not to have to shovel. Alas, it was the first of several times John would be shoveling me out but I'll leave until next week. This is the winter that never ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment