Monday, September 5, 2022

Week 36 - Goodbye Weed Trees

It was nice to be home! My body didn't get the message though. Not only was the yeast infection not gone but I had eczema all over my hands and zitts like a teeanager. Seriously? I called my doc and got some meds, which would hopefully get me feeling better soon. And it rained overnight! First rain we'd had in weeks. Only 1/2" but it's better than none.

The tree people called to say they'd be coming on Wednesday. Perfect! After a tragic Q&A session on the toolbox I'd deployed before I left where no one asked any questions, I headed outside after work on Tuesdasy to cut up the half rotted sides of my old raised beds that needed to be out of the way for the tree people. I had hoped they'd take them but they couldn't so I needed them to fit in my trash can. It was hot work but I got it done.

Wednesday was a lonely day in the office with Cindy out (her brother in law had died and the funeral was that day) but I took Dodie to Heoya for Korean BBQ at lunch and then made a beeline home after work to check out the trees. These pictures are from the back of the garage, which shows the difference best. My deck is now baking in the sun but I'll get an umbrella and my veg beds will be much happier. Life is good!


After eating out of my freezer since getting home, it was time to do some cooking. I went to the tiny Wahoo farmers market and bought some eggplant then went home and made sausage and peppers, tabbouleh and cuke salad for dinner. It felt good to be eating my own food.

The tree people came by to say they had an opening and could prune my crabapple Friday morning, which I wanted to be home for. So I headed outside for an hour and directed them on what to cut. They filled a 20 foot trailer with all they cut off. It will never look as good as it did before the guy in the wheelchair hacked it up but it's much better. Lacey had given the word first thing in the morning that we could stop working at 3:00. Nice. Then a front came through and the temperature dropped. How's that for a banner start to a long weekend!

I had some football ticket drama first thing on Saturday. The people who buy my tickets were at my door at 8:30 needing tickets for the game. I didn't have a clue where they were, thinking maybe they'd gone to my office, so took my laptop to the deck in my nightie (!) and managed to transfer the tickets to her phone. After they left, I went through the stack of mail on my counter and there they were. I fessed up and dropped them at their house when I went out for BK at lunch. My bad. Andrea and I were headed to Omaha for an afternoon of knitting on Lori's patio. It was lovely and we hit Aldi on the way home. 

Sunday was eggplant day but first I chatted with Carolyn and my sister then cut and salted it all. After I rinsed and dried it, I did all the floors, which were a mess before the cats spent a week inside. I stopped for tea and Sharyn called. How nice was that! When we hung up, the frying began. I made a huge 9x13 pan so will eat it until I'm sick of it then freeze the rest. Yum.

So all in all, it was a good re-entry week. Work went well, the weather was cooler and my yard has been transformed. Now for real fall weather - I'm talking sweata weatha - so I can get more done in the yard. Some rain would be nice too. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment