Sunday, March 31, 2024

Week 11 - A Cat Attack

No, not one of my cats. It was Andrea's psycho cat, Bajo.

Andrea left for a trip on Tuesday so I was on daily cat feeding duty. I went Wednesday before work and was still on campus by 8:00 (!) and went again before work Thursday, which was my 2nd day on campus. The attack happened on Friday. I was working from home so ran over mid morning and had to go onto the enclosed front porch for kitty litter to top off the box. Bajo followed me out there and I picked him up and chucked him back inside. A bit of a growl but no biggie. He scooted by me when I opened the kitchen door to leave and was waiting by the back door. When I tried to pick him up to throw him back into the kitchen, he attacked. It was SO fast and my fore arm was a bloody mess with a grazing bite along one side and a row of scratches along the other. I was bleeding like a stuck pig. I'll spare you the picture of the gore.

I went home and started cleaning it up. One wound on my hand bled for 2 hours and after consulting with my pharmacist cousin, I called my doctor to ask for a prescription for antibiotics. When you've had joint replacements, there's always concern that a cat bite will create an infection that will settle in your joints - knees for me. My doctor called in the Rx and I went to the pharmacy after work. It was Augmentin so I'd be had intestinal issues to look forward to.

On a nicer note, Thursday was Pi Day so to keep up my annual tradition, I made a small apple crumb pie to take to work, which was a hit with the few people who were in the office. Most people seem to do their 2nd day early in the week so there were only a few of us in. My reason for going in Thursday was Jessica, one of our old water aerobic instructors who we keep in touch with, was going to be in town and we were meeting at YiaYia's for a baby shower-ish thing. I had made cute baby socks for her and we'd all pitched in for a gift card because she and her partner are having twins so need double of everything. We had a great time and she loved the socks.

Saturday was spinning so I fed Bajo before heading to Fremont, keeping my distance for sure. It felt weird to be doing a Fremont run without Andrea, especially because it was the Estate Dispersal Store weekend. I didn't find anything there or at the Restore but found some brand new LLBean t-shirts at Goodwill before doing a huge stock up at Aldi. I was out of everything.

In an attempt to do something beyond chores and cooking on Sunday, I went downstairs after I made breakfast for lunch, which is a Sunday thing recently. I had hash with my eggs and that's as close as I got corned beef for St. Patrick's day but it'd do. Anyway, I made a cute project bag with a fat quarter I'd gotten at Dollar Tree. Cute, right?

Carolyn told me that eating a daily baked potato while on Augmentin would help minimize stomach issues so I set about cooking things to go with potatoes on Sunday. I was going with mashed potatoes but figured that'd work too. I made meatloaf, turkey casserole mix (2 small casseroles went into the freezer with stuffing on top but I kept a serving out to serve over potatoes lunch lady style), banana bread and Brussels sprouts. I has happy to be set for the coming week with food.

So quite a week. My arm was a mess and my intestines were still OK but Helen said the intestinal issues might take a couple of days to set in. I had high hopes that the potatoes would work but had already arranged to work from home on Monday instead of going in so I'd be closer to a bathroom. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment