Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Week 3 - Brutal Polar Vortex

Four day work weeks are the best but I'm looking forward to being retired when Monday holidays don't mean much. Just one more - Memorial Day - before I'm done with work. 6.5 months to go.

Ben was back from his Thailand trip so I had queries for him to start the week on Tuesday. I begged off going to campus on Wednesday since it'd be too cold for my open toes. My foot was still too swollen for shoes, even sneakers. I had a 4 hour zoom on the F&A project on Thursday morning so made eggs for breakfast since lunch would be late. Nothing else worth a mention on the work front.

At home, one of the neighborhood cats made a path through the snow to get to my back door and that was it for my cats being limited to the deck. I went out and shoveled the deck a bit so they had access to the yard and driveway. They still mostly stayed in because the cold was brutal but had a bit further to roam when they did go out. It was too cold for me to go out so I rescheduled my Friday haircut to next week when it would be warmer. On Friday morning, I found a frozen sparrow under my birdfeeder. Yes, it was that cold. Poor baby. I did brave the cold once mid-week because I was getting really low on food and had no snacks. A quick trip to The Warehouse fixed that. We got more snow at the end of the week but I crammed my foot into a sneaker, bundled up and shoveled my driveway. It took 20 minutes and I survived.




I was having to get creative with the food I had on hand so started the weekend with eggnog pancakes and bacon for supper Friday night. I finished up the eggnog making eggnog bread with dried cranberries and walnuts on Saturday. I also made a loaf of whole wheat while the oven was on. Sadly, I had to dry my sheets in the dryer on Saturday but spent some time in the laundry room while I was down there, neatizing and bringing up my amaryllis bulbs.

Sunday was a big day. It was in the 20's so I was heading to Omaha. My fridge was bare so it was stock up time. After picking up bagels at Bruegger's, I started at Trader Joe's, which was a mob scene. Everyone was out now that it was warmer. I then went to Lori's for a few hours of knitting and drinking tea before heading to Aldi, where I spent $120! That's a lot for me, especially at Aldi, but now my fridge was full. Yay!

Hopefully we won't have such drastically cold weather again this winter but that's probably wishful thinking. If we do, I'll be more able to go out in it. My foot is getting better everyday and I have my last appointment with the doc coming up. After this week, normal winter temps will feel downright balmy. I'll take it.


No comments:

Post a Comment