Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Week 47 - My Sore Thumb

My November medical stuff continued unabated and I got several other things crossed off my list plus had some fun. Same stuff different week maybe?

I had a dentist appointment on Monday morning and since I still have to take a huge dose of antibiotics before dental appointments because of my knee and not wanting a repeat of the yeast infection hell from my last appointment, I had 2 doses of diflucan ready to take - 1 with the antibiotics and the 2nd 3 days later. So I was protected for yeast infections but had digestive issues that not only lead to bad indigestion but also some funky blood test results. At least this should be my last round of antibiotics since I'll hit the 2 year mark before my next dental appointment. Unless another molar explodes but let's not go there.

My thumb was still giving me fits and by Wednesday morning, my entire had was swollen. As usual, I was packing my Wednesday with stuff so started the day with a fasting blood draw at the student health center in preparation for next week's annual physical. Immediately upon getting to my desk, I went into the patient portal and requested the earliest possible appointment to get a shot in my thumb and was thrilled when they called 10 minutes later with a cancellation at 10:45. I juggled a couple of meetings and headed there, meeting Rene in the parking lot (her gym is right next to my ortho doc's office) to hand off the birthday cake I'd made for Anne's birthday dinner scheduled for that night at Rene's. After picking up lunch at Whole Foods, I went back to the office for a full afternoon of zooms and meetings then it was on to Rene's.

Rene had recently moved into a new house and was hosting Anne's birthday dinner and giving us a tour. Her house is cute and has a great yard with raised beds already built, which was the major thing she wanted in her new yard. She made dinner and I made dessert. We chatted after dinner and despite no ingredients that would explain it, I had the worst indigestion I've ever had. I had an old tums in the car so took that when I left, took another when I got home and got up a midnight for another. I'd been so worried about getting another yeast infection that I gave zero thought to the fact that those antibiotics killed all my good gut bacteria. Luckily I was back to normal (I rarely have stomach issues) by Thursday morning. But the blood draw I'd done that morning also had a couple of odd numbers due to those darn antibiotics. Ready to be done with those!

Remember my vow to just so NO in November? Well I forgot about that and sent an email to Andrea suggesting a ridiculous itinerary for Saturday morning before our 1:00 spinning meeting in Fremont. It involved going to Omaha for Trader Joe's, a fiber event and a yarn shop all before noon so we could then drive to Fremont for 1:00. Crazy! Within hours of sending it, I realized how nuts it was and told Andrea as much. Then when Saturday arrived, I didn't even want to go to spinning. I was hemming and hawing when Andrea reminded me that spinning is not mandatory so I sent an email bowing out. But could I just relax and enjoy the newly free afternoon? Nope. 

Feeling guilty, I decided to start the spare room project, which had been my plan for Thanksgiving break. I pulled out tote after tote of yarn, pop up bins of yarn, random containers of yarn - are you seeing a pattern here? The front room was now FULL but I could see the floor and bed in the spare room so I was calling it progress. 

I did do some sorting on Sunday but only after spending a big chunk of the day on the phone and even facetiming with my Canadian friend, Eileen. We hadn't talked in ages so that was a treat. I also had chores to do (mostly laundry) and went to the cookie sale at St. Wenz to get some homemade Christmas cookies for tea next week. So not much yarn got sorted but with everything pulled into my spare room, it'd be waiting for me come Thanksgiving break. Good thing Anne and I were eating in the sunshine in the back room.

So it was another good week with another medical appointment crossed off, no yeast infection, a fixed thumb (I was able to knit a bit on Thursday night and was fully functional by Friday) and the next week was a short one. Add the start of my spare room project and I'd call it a banner week.

No comments:

Post a Comment