Sunday, November 13, 2022

Week 45 - Mammograms and Mums

Before Covid, October was my month to get all my medical stuff done but it was all delayed during the pandemic so most things moved to November. Except my mammogram.

I had scheduled it for Halloween afternoon and other than having a new tech who seemed to lack confidence, it was quick and easy. Then I got a phone call saying I needed to go back for a diagnostic mammogram. With only one option available, I cancelled a much needed haircut and took the Thursday afternoon appointment. Now I'm not a worrier but hearing you need a second mammogram does give one pause. I had trouble concentrating on work Thursday morning and had to wait a bit before they took me in that afternoon, only to have the usual tech tell me I was there for calcifications. I thought my head would explode.

I've had calcifications in my right breast for years and they've been well documented. I told the tech that and she went out to tell the radiologist but still came back to do more ouchy squishing. Yikes! The radiologist, who ended up being the sister of someone I work with, did a good job of explaining the calcifications and told me they were fine and I didn't need to come back until a year out. So, complete and utter waste of time, worry and money. I'm going to fight the charges. What's the point of having my mammogram at the same place every year if they never look at the prior ones? Useless!

Otherwise, the week was fine. I didn't do Halloween - going to knitting at the library instead since so few kids trick or treat in Wahoo anymore. I got one final walk in at the lake on Tuesday after work and went to a movie (God's Creatures - a moody Irish film) then grocery shopping after work on Wednesday. All good.

The weather was due to change and there was a chance of rain on Thursday night so I spent the week prepping to plant some of the mums I'd had for fall decorations. This entailed watering 2 spots in my beds to soften up the rock hard soil, which I did every day until I planted them on Thursday after work. We did get 1/2" of rain overnight, which is more than we've had had in ages, so they got watered in. I hope they make it through the winter.

It was cold and dreary on Friday, as forecast, so I made a cozy lunch of mac & cheese and then spent the afternoon looking up dead people in SAP. Yes, that's a thing. It was perfect Friday afternoon work and it was 5:00 before I knew it. The weekend had begun.

It was warmer on Saturday and I spent the day puttering - doing chores, knitting and giving some love to all the plants I'd hastily brought in before the freeze a few weeks ago. The clocks went back but you can't reset a cat so I was up on Sunday even earlier than the clock change warranted. Darn cats! This left me tired 
but I survived. I had my last mow of the year and the gutters cleaned, which meant hanging outside with Tim while his son worked. After lunch, I headed downstairs. I had to make a Christmas project bag, which I always offer as an October prize for my Socks from Stash group. I'd bought fun, vintage Santa fabric on our Missouri trip and I was pleased with how it came out. Cute, right? Then I made a pie to take to Nan's on Monday for the Friendsgiving she was hosting.

All in all, it was a good week. I'll adjust to the time change and don't really mind that it'll be dark after work. All the more reason to hunker down and get cozy. I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment