Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Week 48 - Thankful for Motivation

It was a wonderful week with a only 3 work days (and those punctuated with time off), a nice Thanksgiving, a fun Omaha run and outside productivity to end the week.

I had 2 more doctor appointments - my annual physical (she didn't push statins - yay!) on Monday and my eye appointment on Tuesday. That made for quick days and then we got out early on Wednesday. I was happily baking a blueberry pie at 3:00. I had spent lunches neatizing and cleaning so was ready for Thanksgiving on the cleaning front.

I started cooking as soon as I got up on Thursday. Anne was coming early so she could get home for some game or other but I wasn't cooking a whole turkey so it wasn't bad. I made stuffing (first time outside a bird), mashed potatoes (Anne's fave), Brussels sprouts (best veg ever!) and roasted sweet potatoes. We had a nice lunch in the sun in my back room then watched Spirited, which was fun. I had just enough light after she left to get everything cleaned it and it was time to sit and knit. It was a nice, quiet Thanksgiving.

I finished slogging through all the yarn on Friday, which felt great. With the early start the weekend before, I was done with My break project 2 days to go so I called Lori and scheduled an Omaha run on Saturday. I hit Trader Joe's before meeting Lori at our favorite yarn shop, where I was such an adult - only buying the 2 things I went in for. Then we went to Lori's for an afternoon of knitting, chatting and tea. After a stop at Aldi, I stopped at Menard's, where I had planned to buy Christmas trees and had even emptied my trunk and put the seats down for easy loading. 

I only get 2 small trees - the cheapest Scotch pine for the deck and a small 4 or 5 foot fir for inside. Nope. They had no small trees and and the prices were CRAZY. It would have cost me $130 so I drove away. I went by the farm store on the way home and they had even fewer and for the same price. I drove by SunMart, our little market in Wahoo, and they had 3' pines in a stand (meant for a table top I'm sure) so I bought one for my deck and would wait to figure out an inside tree. Was it time to go artificial? Not my jam but it might be.

Saturday had been the better day for working outside but the yarn shop isn't open on Sundays so that made the decision. With colder weather coming, I was determined to work outside on Sunday despite it being gloomy and chilly. The one yard thing that had to be done before snow flies is cutting down the perennials in the strip between the sidewalk and street. If I leave them up, they act like a snow fence and snow dumps on my sidewalk. So that was first on my list. It didn't take too long and I was able to load up the brush in my car and take it to the city burn pile. I also put up my cute deck tree ($30 well spent), my holiday flag and decorated pots at my front and back door. With that all done, everything outside was ready for Christmas and winter. Nice. 

I ate the last of my Thanksgiving food on Sunday and made a big pot of soup for the next week. What a great week and Thanksgiving break! Got my last 2 medical appointments done, had some good food and time with friends plus got lots of things done. If my upcoming Christmas break is half as good, it'll be a good one. But before then, I have packages to get ready. That's next on my list. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment