Sunday, November 13, 2022

Week 44 - Walking in Daylight

It was my first quiet week and I was excited to have a free weekend but before then, I had some busy evenings.

I was keenly aware that the clocks would be falling back soon so planned to take advantage of the light after work and that started Monday. I walked to the library for Monday Night Knitting and then bummed a ride home with Nan. Less than a mile but steps are steps.

Despite vowing to not make plans, I had suggested a few week before that Lorri and I go to a Nebraska Statewide Arboretum event at the new hotel on campus after work on Tuesday so we'd bought tickets. I picked Lorri up and we arrived 5 minutes before the event was to start. Not even started yet and most of the food was gone. We did manage to find seats inside the bar but clearly there were many more people than could fit inside so people spilled outside, where there were benches around fires. Unfortunatelly they opened the doors, which were right behind our table and it was cold outside. Then there was no sound system so despite being only 12 feet from the speakers, we couldn't hear. Add the $18 we paid for a glass of wine and a small beer and it was a total bust. LAME.

As usual, I made the most of my Wednesday on campus. I bought a thumb drive to backup my laptop when I did my morning Starbuck's run, had a lovely lunch with Dodie at Bison Witches, which we've declared is our new spot, and bought new slippers and cookies after we were done eating. Nice. Then I hit Super Saver for a big produce stock up after work and was home and in my jammies for Survivor. Way to maximize my on campus day.


Ben asked me to zoom at the end of the day Thursday and I got a new project for Mary, which I worked on all day Friday so the day flew by and it was time for my weekend at home. At 5:00, I head off for another walk at the lake, which was a lovely way to start my weekend.

With the whole weekend in front of me, I had endless possiblities to choose from on Saturday so, of course, I played with yarn. Cindy had given me a set of plastic drawers that had been languishing in the basement for a long time so I brought it up, gave it a good clean and sorted all my leftover sock yarn into the drawers by weight. It was a happy chore. Then I frogged (knitting lingo for ripped out) a pair of socks that wasn't working for me and immediately started another pattern with the same yarn. I worked on them on and off over the weekend and they flew off the needles. I finally watched the newest Downton Abbey movie Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The weather was dreary on Sunday so I didn't get to enjoy knitting in the sun all morning. But dreary was perfect for cooking so I got going, clearing out the fridge and making blueberry pancakes, roasted tomato sauce with some of the last produce from my garden, a loaf of bread for sandwiches, banana bread to have with tea and steak and rice for supper. 

All in all, it was a perfect weekend and just what I needed. I am looking forward to more of these in NOvember, when I will be saying NO to any social obligations so I can stay home and recharge. And with one more week before the clocks go back, I hope to get some more walks in too. It's good to have a plan. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment