Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Week 46 - Too Much Knitting

Yes, that title is real. I actually did too much knitting and paid the price but there was plenty of fun before that.

There were a couple of fun food events. Nan hosted a Friendsgiving for the Monday Night Knitters so with pumpkin pie in hand, we headed to Fremont. The food was delish and we chatted for hours after dinner at her dining room table, not leaving until 9:45, which felt even later with the darn time change. Wednesday was a grilled cheese food day at work, which was something we'd never done (Ben's idea) and was a big hit. Our group was doing the grilled cheese (I bought the butter) but I made brownies too because I like to bake. It was all good.

I taught on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, which always makes for a fast week. I then took 2 hours of vacation on Friday afternoon to do an early Fremont run with Andrea. We had fun at our usual stops - The Restore, the new thrift shop we'd discovered on Main Street, the Estate Dispersal Store, Goodwill and Aldi. It was well worth the 2 hours of vacation time, especially because I'll be hitting maximum vacation in January so will have to take 2 days/month or stop accruing, which will NEVER happen. I might as well take some hours here and there while the weather isn't cold so I'm not taking it in the dead of winter.


With my errands all done, I was happily home all weekend. I made mixed fruit chutney, which is the key ingredient to one of my favorite sandwiches - ham, cheddar and chutney. I make a batch every other year and it's a great way to use the last of the garden tomatoes and any other fruit I have. This year I cleaned out little bags of frozen berries and used up apples along with the last couple of tomatoes and dates and raisins. Yum! On Sunday, I made a project bag for Anne's birthday with Christmas kitty fabric I'd bought especially at Missouri Star on our recent road trip. All in all, a good weekend, except for the too much knitting.

Having sorted my sock yarn leftovers a few weeks ago, I was excited to cast on some new monster socks on Thursday over lunch. The Grocery Girls (my fave knitting podcast) were live and I knitted away my lunch hour and went right back to it that night, spending hours knitting monster socks, which are my favorite kind because... using things up, which is my favorite thing. With all that knitting, my thumb started acting up. I had last had a cortisone shot in May before my Faroes trip so clearly that had worn off. I switched to crochet thinking that would use different muscles but by the end of the weekend, my entire wrist was sore. Not good. Clearly I'd need to stop knitting. Yikes! Maybe there would be another shot in my future.

So that was my week. Fun, productive and painful. Getting old is not for wimps but better than the alternative. 




No comments:

Post a Comment