Sunday, May 8, 2022

Week 17 - Long Overdue Gardening

It was a good week with our first food day in 2.5 years at work and finally some decent weather for gardening. It had snowed the previous Sunday (just flurries but still - in April?) and by Friday it was pushing 90 but in between was some spring weather.

I cooked a bunch on Tuesday night, not just for food day. I had already made my cranberry walnut cole slaw on the weekend but decided to make a sheet pan apple pie and I wanted to make pea soup because it's Anne's favorite and I could see her on Wednesday. I also put the chicken bones in the crockpot to make stock. I cooked until just before bed.


The food day was a big success. We were hosting Ben's staff from his business center across campus so with all the Canfield people, there were 40+ coming. It took some coordination, which fell on Cindy and me, but was lots of fun. I took home enough leftovers for a couple of suppers too. While I had grand plans to run errands after work, I made a beeline home instead and finished the blackberry socks that I'd redone the heels/toes on after being completely done. I love the results and so will not be giving them away as bad karma socks, which is nice because the yarn was a birthday gift from Andrea.

Friday was going to be HOT so I went right outside at 5:00 on Thursday and did some yard work. I got all the back beds raked out, which felt great. It was raining by dark and we got 1/2" overnight, which we desperately needed. After the rain, the heat set in. I closed up the house and survived fine but in retrospect, I should have tried the AC since it's supposed to be replaced this year (I had freon added last year but that was just to get me through summer 2021). Missed opportunity so I'll have to wait until the next hot day.

At some point in the week, I got an email from Southwest that they'd changed my flight back home after my beach week in August. What had been a normal RI > Chicago > Omaha flight was now RI > Tampa > Omaha. Seriously? There was no other option to leave on Saturday so I changed to a Sunday flight and got great times. And since Southwest changed the flight, I got a princess flight for no additional money. I'll stay that Saturday with Deanne. All good.

I had my first mow of the spring scheduled for sometime on the weekend and when I got a text that it would be Sunday, I called Andrea and we headed to the west edge of Omaha in search of a Koreanspice viburnum. I struck out at Lowe's so went to Lanaha, the fancy nursery just down the road, where I scored one - expensive but in perfect condition. Even with stopping at the Aldi across from the nursery, we were home in 2.5 hours. Nice.

Tim, who built my deck years ago when he and a friend had a construction company, was bringing his youngest son over to mow. I'd asked Tim to bring his chain saw and he cut down the last yew in my front bed while Camden mowed. I loaded up the branches and ran them to the city burn pile so my bed was ready. I'd found a bare root weigela bush at Aldi so that would be going there with hostas that were had been frying in the full sun since my neighbor took her tree down. I'm sure I'll find other things to go there too.

So it was a good week. I finally got some garden time in, we got some much needed rain and I have big plans for my yard that I'm excited to start on after doing nothing much last year because of my knee replacement. It's also getting easier to work on campus on Wednesdays and the food day was a resounding success that felt like a return to normal. Now for more spring weather so I can get outside. I just hope we don't go right to summer heat and ship spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment