Saturday, May 28, 2022

Week 19 - Loving Spring Weather

It was another lovely week full of knitting, gardening and general getting things done. Finally we got some rain, which after our bone dry winter was lovely.

Monday was one of those gorgeous rainy days with just constant, steady but gentle rain. We got 1.75", which went a long way towards easing our deficit plus it had been so long since we'd had one of these days that it felt like a treat. And the day ended with double treats at Monday Night Knitting. All in all, a lovely day.

But on the knitting front, I may have overdone it because my right thumb was sore. Not in its usual place (the thumb knuckle closest to my nail) but at the base of my thumb at my wrist. It's always something these days! At least I had finished my April socks so I pulled out some crocheting (!) in an attempt to use different hand motions. I spent the rest of the week not knitting socks. Oh well.

As usual, I was on campus on Wednesday and I was excited to hit the Hort Club plant sale over lunch. Their plants are always in great shape and I like to support them but it's a total crap shoot. Sometimes they have unusual plants and other times they only have things you can buy at Wal-Mart. I did manage to find a few plants to buy and then hit Goodwill, where I scored some yarn for my sister and even a single skein of sock yarn for me. Yay!

On the way home, I stopped at HyVee to get my 2nd booster. The woman who gave me the shot was a brute. It's like she was trying to punch through leather instead of my thin, old lady skin. But it was done and I had hopes for max immunity for my trip. Alas, I couldn't fall asleep that night and so got up and took a benadryl at midnight. I don't know if it was lack of sleep, the booster or a combo but I felt pretty depleted on Thursday. Oh well. Totally worth it if it was the shot.

Friday was a busy day. I had several meetings then took a short lunch because I had a haircut in the afternoon. Gotta love small town living - I stopped 3 or 4 places in addition to my haircut and was home in 35 minutes. I was on a zoom until 4:55 with my boss and then it was time for the weekend. I went right outside at 5:00 and started gardening.

Saturday was a perfect spring day and I got busy. I had arranged for the man who built my deck's youngest son to mow and they came for the first mow of the season. Since Tim has to drive his son over, I asked if he'd be willing to cut down the last yew while Camden mowed and he did. Nice. After they left, I finished the east bed, cutting back the rest of the winter creeper and then moving the hostas that were growing underneath all that foliage. On Sunday, I cut all the weed trees in my bed and took them with the yew limbs to the city burn pile, picking up BK for lunch on the way back. I was done with gardening for the weekend so it was chore time.

As I was puttering around the house, I could hear a nail gun. I saw that a crew of roofers was down the street doing a neighbor's roof so I mosied down there and asked if they did little jobs. The head guy came right over to look at my garage roof where I branch had torn off a bunch of shingles during a wind storm last fall. I'd called the company that did my roof 3 or 4 times and they'd never called back. Lame. But this guy was more than willing to fix my roof and so he did after they finished down the street. Yay! Cross one more house thing off my list. I was thrilled.


I'd call that a great week! Rain, at last, nice spring weather, making a great start on my spring gardening and getting my roof fixed. Now to have a few more weeks like this so I can get everything done before my trip. I can do it! And here are a few pics from my garden of spring bulbs in glorious bloom. Spring is the BEST season. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment