Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Week 21 - My Pre-trip List

With my trip getting close, I started attacking my pre-trip to do list in earnest. Of course I have things on my list that have absolutely nothing to do with travel but there's nothing like a deadline to get me moving.

Now the gardening stuff on the list made sense because being gone in early June means I need to get all that done before I leave. And I made some good progress, planting irises that Nan shared at knitting at dusk when I got home Monday night. Then I went out right after work on Tuesday and prepped/planted my squash bed and filled in the gaps in the early bed. I also dug hostas to take to Cindy at work on Wednesday. On Sunday I finished planting my veg beds and started my containers. I was a machine all weekend in an attempt to get all the gardening done so I could enjoy Memorial Day weekend. I got close but still had a bit yet to do and was pleased with my progress.

The deadline to register cats in Wahoo is May so I made vet appointments for Friday afternoon and actually managed to get all 3 cats to the vet for shots and flea treatment. So that needed to be done but getting the screen in my slider replaced could have waited but I took the motivation and got that done. The local screen guy that I found on Facebook picked the screen up on Monday and when I came home from campus on Wednesday, it was back with the cat door all installed. Now to get the cats to figure out the cat door. Pixell picked it up right away but not so much with the other 2. Slow learners I guess.

I'm happy to report that the virtual reality headsets are returned and we're done. We had one more team meeting in cartoon land and were so over it that Ben told us to bring them back. Done with those!

Wednesday was a productive day in Lincoln. Since I only work on campus one day/week, I do my best to maximize driving down. I hit WalMart at lunch and bought some pants for my trip and a few other things, I went to the movies with Cindy at The Ross after work - The Duke, which was very good. And when Cindy suggested going out afterwards, we headed to Tico's for magueritas, nachos and venting about work. It's good to have friends. And later in the week, Cindy called me from Goodwill Factimed to show me all the great yarn they had, picking up quite a bit of it for me. I'm a lucky person to have such good friends.

As usual this spring, the weather was all over the place. I tried to have lunch with Lorri in the park on Tuesday, which we hadn't done in months. We did manage to eat lunch but had to cut it short because of storms. After raining on and off on Tuesday and all day Wednesday, it was 94 and muggy on Thursday  then gorgeous by the weekend. Sheesh!

My plan to start the weekend was to stop at the Vets Club to talk to Ed about installing my garbage disposal, which is on the pre-trip list so my friend who feeds the cats can soak the wet food plates and run the bits down the disposal. I found Ed but also Donna and his daughter because it was Donna's birthday. I hung out and chatted for awhile (I should have had a drink but didn't) and made plans for Ed to come over. Check that off. Next day was a Fremont run.

It was spinning day but Andrea was busy with a graduation party so I was on my own. I started at the Habitat Restore and found a few goodies but they also had 4 packs of plants that they were selling 6/$1.00! that was $2.00 for an entire flat. They had tons of red impatiens but I did manage to find a few different types, which meant I could cross plants off my list for after spinning. At that price, I bought a flat of the red impatiens to share at spinning. Spinning was fun then I hit a few different stores than normal - Menard's and Walmart for returns - and no Aldi. I did buy a few more plants at the Kaw Valley green houses. The plants are not cheap but they're always in great shape. I needed some standard tomatoes and bought some lantana. And when I saw this cute little sheep, I couldn't resist and bought him too. 

I really really wanted barbeque after finishing all my errands. Siri sent me to a BBQ restaurant that was clearly no longer in business and there were no other options in Fremont. I called a few local restaurants but none had BBQ on the menu so I stopped at Red Zone, which is in a tiny town halfway home. I ordered a takeout 3 meat BBQ sandwich and sat in the car knitting for 20 minutes then waited another 20 minutes inside. The fries were great and the sandwich only OK but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So, busy week but got lots of things crossed off my list and had lots of fun too. Less than 2 weeks until the trip and a long weekend yet to come. More will be done. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment