Sunday, April 17, 2022

Week 16 - Some Crazy Weather

In another quiet work week with Cindy still on vacation, the weather was worthy of a mention and not much else.

The weather was a total roller coaster. Monday was gorgeous (I put 2 loads of laundry on the line to dry) but by Tuesday morning it was dreary, windy and cold. But right at noon, the weather started to change and within a couple of hours it went from the 50's to 91 by dinner time. Then at 7:00 the storm started. There was hail with huge wind gusts and then the tornado sirens went off. I headed down to the basment but the sirens stopped so I went back upstairs to wait out the storm. As soon as it passed, the temp plummeted again and we were back into the 50's. Here's a video of the hail on my deck. At least it was tiny and my pansies survived unscathed.


The office was boring on Wednesday without Cindy. Ben's door was shut most of the day and Brook had his headphones in. I could hear the accountants laughing but no fun for me! I had arranged to meet a woman who was giving away partially made afghans, which I'd be sending to my sister for her charity crocheting. It was a bit of a fiasco with a last minute plan change but I met her near campus at lunch and then ran some errands. Yhe highlight of the day was meeting Dodie at CostCo after work.

The last time Dodie and I went to CostCo was the week before the world shut down in March 2020 so this was much nicer. We chatted our way through the aisles then had pizza and a sundae and chatted some more. I managed to spend $100 on just a few things, which is easily done there. I'm stocked up for awhile.

The work week was just busy enough - plenty of work but nothing stressful. I was plugging away on some data for Mary on Friday when I got the word that we could stop working at 3:00 to start the Easter weekend early. Since I don't do Easter, I usually spend it outside in the garden so used the extra 2 hours to start some flower seeds. Then the knitting began.

Andrea was teaching a class at spinning on helical knitting and I figured some people wouldn't have done the homework - knitting the cuff of a sock - so I pulled a bunch of yarn and knitted the cuff on some hats. I did 2 on Friday night then 2 more on Saturday morning. It was the first Saturday morning I'd been at home in a month so I enjoyed knitting in the sun in my nightie. All 4 hat kits were claimed so it was worthwhile making them.

Saturday was also the first day of my break from dieting. I'd lost almost 10 pounds so wore jeans for the first time in 2 years. After enjoying a burger and tots for lunch and dressed in my hard pants, I picked Andrea up for a full Fremont run. We went to the Habitat ReStore before spinning and we both found a few treasures. Spinning was fun and then we went to the Estate Disperal Store for more treasures then on to Goodwill. Aldi was our last stop and I needed lots because I hadn't been to Aldi in a month or more. We didn't get home until after 7:00 so it was a long day but fun.

I woke up on Sunday to more gloomy weather and before long, there were flurries. In mid-April. On Easter. Seriously? Will spring ever get here? My usual personal Easter celebration of gardening was toast so I spent the day doing just a few chores and doing a bunch of cooking. The snow that fell melted immediately and the sun did come out for a bit mid-afternoon but it was too chilly to be out long.

I'm looking foward to warmer weather and Cindy being back at work. The weather is thwarting my desire to get out and garden. This is the first year with my new knee and without any pressing deadline like last year when I had my knee replaced on May 18th so had to fast track all my gardening. So would spring weather just get here please! I live in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment