Monday, May 9, 2022

Week 18 - Gardening Between Storms

The week started with cat drama but that was resolved quickly and then the gardening began. Throw in some culture and it was a good week. 

So, the cat drama. First thing Monday, emails started flying about the feeding station by Love Library on campus. I got a report that it had been vandalized and was completely trashed. After not getting through to the person who reported it, I called the campus police and the Monday feeder only to get a call back from the person who originally found it, who went outside and met the officer and feeder. Not vandalism at all but rather blown over by the wind and it was back together in minutes. Who needs drama like this to start the week? No one. Now for some happy garden talk....

I went right out after work on Tuesday and started attacking the purple leaf winter creeper in my east bed. Had I known how vigorous it would be, I never would have planted it but I keep it under control by completely cutting it back every year, which didn't happen last year because of my knee. Well, it was a job getting it done. I rolled, cut, rolled some more, cut some more - I got almost all the way down the length of the house, loaded it into the car and drove it to the city burn pile. Done! After a shower, I had some dinner and got ready for Wednesday work on campus.

Early in the week, there had been a sale for UNL staff on tickets to Come From Away, which is a perfect musical - a play with actual spoken words and songs rather than Hamilton-esque operettas with only songs. HATE that! I had bought tickets happily (I'd watched the play on Apple+ with Connie last fall and loved it) and Rene and I would be grabbing burgers with tots at Honest Abe's before the play. There were donuts and cookies at work and I met with my Fidelity rep on some retirement stuff so it was a great day. The play was wonderful but then I knew it would be. 

I was outside after work on Thursday and got the entire front bed planted. I planted the bare root weigela near the wonky dwarf Alberta spruce (the huge yews had killed the branches on one side) in hopes that it will grow big and fill in the hole. I moved 2 hydrangeas from the back to under my bedroom window. The rest was hostas from the east bed, more hostas from by the garage, vinca and a few other shade perennials from my other beds. This is a north bed so mostly shade. It will take years before it all fills in but it felt good to get it done so it can start growing. The timing was perfect with overnight rain coming to water it all in.

I had scheduled 2 hours of vacation on Friday afternoon so Lorri and I could go to Spring Affair. We usually volunteer but they'd changed the hours this year so neither of us did. We were there an hour after it opened to the public (the preview party was Thursday night) and about half of the plants were already sold out. I managed to find a few to buy and then we headed to Starbuck's. Severe storms were supposed to arrive ~5:30 so I'd nixed dinner but we had a latte and pound cake and chatted a bit before beelining it home. The storms held off and I suppose I would have known that if I had a smart phone. I know, I need to get one. But there's nothing bad about an early start to the weekend. I watched BBC Gardener's World and enjoyed dinner at home.

It was a rainy, cold Saturday so I watched the last Ozark episodes, caught up on Gardeners World and puttered inside. It was gorgeous Sunday but the yard was a soggy mess so I did some transplanting on the deck to avoid the mushy lawn and beds. No complaints from me on the rain, which we desperately need. I think we might be edging out of drought after a bone dry winter and the world is greening up at last. Yay!

So a nice week, right? Gardening, a play, plant buying and those are just the fun things. I love working from home and being able to go right outside at 5:00 to garden, using the time I would have been driving home to actually be productive. Here's hoping we get to keep working from home. Here are some daffodils in my yard with some of the yew wood for my firepit. Happy spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment