Sunday, April 3, 2022

Week 13 - Fun in Beatrice

After such a lovely spring week, a touch of winter was coming back but the snow was supposed to turn to rain, which we desperately needed and so I ran out Monday at lunch and planted yet more seeds. Just couldn't resist and the rain would water everything in nicely.

I woke up to an inch of snow Tuesday morning, which was only the 2nd snow we'd had all winter and it was gone by mid-afternoon but we did get the promised rain - an inch! It was bitter cold when I had to go to campus on Wednesday and as usual, it was still not easy getting ready and setting an alarm but I lived. I ate lunch at my desk and made a beeline home after work because it was just too cold to be out and about. It stayed cold and dreary so the rest of the week was just work and chores. I actually dusted! That's even more rare than snow was this winter. : )

Rene and I had plans on Saturday morning to explore Beatrice, which is the county seat of the county south of Lincoln. I had been there once before I moved to Nebraska (so more than 25 years ago) and I just wanted to see what there was to see. After grabbing treats at Sunrise Donuts, which was recommended by my friend Darla who loved going there when she was a kid, downtown was mostly thrift shops and used clothing stores. After that we went to the Homestead National Historical Park, which was quite interesting. They were doing a controlled burn so we couldn't walk the grounds but it was really too cold to anyway. 

On the way back to Beatrice, we stopped at an antique store and I fell in love with a mid-century modern glass fronted bookcase but didn't get it because my house if full. If any furniture comes in, something else has to go. The woman in the shop recommended a place for lunch but warned us that the service was slow. Indeed it was - we got there at 1:20 and didn't get our food until 2:30. After eating our burgers, we headed back to Lincoln. After a stop at Trader Joe's and dropping Rene, I took Sunrise Donuts long johns to Darla. She wasn't home but I got a happy phone call the next morning.



Anne and I had been working with an agent at Arena Travel planning our next, long overdue trip to the Faroe Islands. After being super responsive, we hadn't hear back from her. Anne had emailed Thursday night and we got no response Friday so I sent one Sunday afternoon. Despite it being after 9:00 in the UK, we got an immediate response. Our original agent was "out of the office" and this one got right on it and we booked the trip. We had intended to look at airfare later but I got right on it and we booked our flight and then to finish it all, I booked our hotels on either end of the trip. So we went from hanging in the wind to completely booked within a couple of hours. Yippee! It's been 2.5 years since I used my passport and I couldn't be more excited. Nice way to end the week, right?

Besides the weekend, it was a quiet week, which was fine. I was recovering from the budget stress and appreciated it. There was lots of knitting going on, of course. I finished 2 pairs of socks and cast on several more plus some yarn I'd ordered from Norway arrived on Friday. And in the spirit of relaxing, here's a picture of my cat, Tot, sleeping in the sun in the front room.

No comments:

Post a Comment