Sunday, April 3, 2022

Week 12 - Budget and Gardening

My budget woes continued but gardening and friends got me through it. First budget.

I had hoped that I was done when I'd rerun the files last week but there were more zooms. I was able to answer their questions on Monday but on Tuesday I was clueless. For every question they asked, my response was to check the spreadsheet. After I said that 3 or 4 times, the head of budget said he'd try to come up with more questions I didn't know the answer to and laughed. And that was the end of my budget woes for the week. They never asked me another thing. Yay!

With that over, hopefully for good, I had other fun things to look forward to. After taking a little blueberry pie to knitting, I had a long overdue birthday dinner with Lori and Andrea for their birthdays schedule for Wednesday after work. Two years before, our annual dinner was cancelled when the world shut down and so I was looking forward to it. 

We were meeting in Ashland at 6:30, arriving from 3 separate directions. Because I'd have to time kill after work, I took a long lunch and thrifted all over town with the plan to work late to make the time up. But at 3:45, right after the team got back from a walk to the parking office, the internet went down. When we heard that the entire campus was down and they didn't know when it would be back up, we all got to leave. But with all my errands done, I had time to kill so hit Sam's with Cindy then Dollar Tree and the new huge liquor store before giving up on retail therapy and calling Lori to see if she could get to BW's earlier, which she did. We ordered beer and Brussels sprouts while we waited for Andrea and then had a yummy dinner when she arrived. It was the most normal I'd felt in ages.

A friend dropped off leek seedlings at lunch on Tuesday so I prepped the end of one veg bed and planted them after work. Having gotten my hands in the dirt, I couldn't seem to stop myself from keeping going. Over the course of the week, I planted the little potatoes I'd dug last fall from a volunteer potato plant and then started going through seeds planting most of one bed with old seeds just to see if I'd get any to germinate. Then I dug a little bed by my neighbor's chain link fence and planted a few peas I found in the bottom of my seed basket. Not sure what they are or if they're too old but I had nothing much to lose and it was fun starting to garden.

I had spinning in Fremont on Saturday but Andrea didn't go. I hit the Habitat Restore on the way there then Aldi afterwards. Then it was home for the rest of the weekend for the usual chores, knitting and general puttering. I watched the new season of The Bay on Britbox. Gotta love an good UK crime drama.

So all in all, it was a good week. Budget seemed to be done, gardening had started, I even started some flowers indoor and there was pie! Spring weather had arrived too. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment