Sunday, September 19, 2021

Week 37 - Labor Day Fun

I'm sure I say this every time there's a Monday holiday but there's nothing wrong with a week that starts with a day off. 

Rene was coming over for lunch so first thing up was to clean up the deck. It had months worth of leaves and the table was covered with a layer of gunge. An hour later, everything was neat and clean and the new cushions were on the chairs. I had told Rene I'd order a pizza but with all the veg from my garden and the stocked fridge from my Omaha run, I decided to cook. I made sausage and peppers (from Lorri's garden) and caprese salad with my tomatoes and served it with my favorite asiago cheese bread from HyVee. We had ice cream sundaes with my peanut butter caramel sauce for dessert. It was getting hot by mid afternoon so we spent a few minutes sawing up branches then went inside to the AC and knitted and chatted the afternoon away. It was a lovely end to a long weekend that was both fun and super productive. I need a few more like that this fall.

I spent every evening outside finishing up more weeding and dealing with the last of the branches and by Thursday I was done. My body was done. I was still covered with cuts and bruises and now my whole body was sore. It was time for a break. I rewarded myself with a pizza on Thursday night after taking my last load of brush to the city burn pile. I was looking forward to a relaxing weekend, especially because it was going to be hot again. I woke up feeling tired and dumpy on Friday but made it through the work day. 


I had nothing pressing on the weekend so pulled a bin of mystery yarn from my stash and started bleach testing. Every time I got up, I put snips of 3 different yarns in little cups of bleach. 100% wool completely dissolves but nylon, which is in sock yarn, doesn't. Since I mostly knit socks, I was hoping that some of the yarn would have nylon and quite a bit of it did. 

I can't say I did much beyond testing yarn and the bare minimum of chores that weekend. I did a tiny bit of weeding Sunday night but didn't even cook so would be scrambling the next week. I did get the recharge time that I needed though. It was going to be another hot week coming up so there'd be more sitting and knitting in my future, which would leave me fully energized for more gardening when it cools down again. I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment