Saturday, September 18, 2021

Week 33 - My Beach Week

Monday was not a beach day. It was overcast and since we were waiting for John's Covid test results, we laid low all day. There was boggle on the deck and John did a bunch of meal prep and cooking so we were totally relaxed when John's negative results came in. We went for a drive to the other side of our salt pond and had yummy grilled chicken for dinner. We were all relaxed now and ready for some beach weather.

Carolyn came Tuesday afternoon and we headed to the beach. John had taken his morning walk so he stayed at our base camp while Carolyn and I walked the entire beach. It was my first long walk with my new knee and it did just great. John and I went swimming and then it was home for a shower and dinner on the deck. It was a nice day.

Auntie Margaret and Bette were coming at 1:00 on Wednesday for a visit so we headed for Wakefield to pick up some snacks and festive beverages. It was great to see them and after nibbles and chatting, Bette wanted to get in the water so she and I rolled up our shorts and walked around the pond. It was nice to get some cousin time while Auntie Margaret regaled John with stories of her childhood and my dad. They left mid afternoon and John and I headed to Aunt Carrie's for an early supper, which was delish. I was disappointed that they didn't have my favorite coconut custard pie but we got ice cream and walked down to the shingle beach, which felt like old times. Nice.

Thursday was a full day but more for John, who had plans to meet a friend in Wakefield before his Covid test, which he needed because he was flying to Scotland on Saturday. I enjoyed a morning of knitting on the deck. I had planned to call Sharyn but had left my wallet and phone under the car seat the night before so that was out. Deanne came down and we headed to the beach, which I'd never gone to with her before. After walking the beach, of course, I was pleased to hear that Dee was a swimmer so we had a ball in the water before heading back for dinner. John's friend Nancy from high school came for dinner so the four of us had fun. The week was flying by.

Friday was our last day. Carolyn came down for another beach day but the tide was in so we weren't able to walk the entire beach. Otherwise, it was a perfect beach day. John and I had plans to go to his aunt's in Newport for supper after hitting The Christmas Tree shop, where I scored some stocking stuffers for my sisters to go along with the ones I got at Job Lot earlier in the week. Nice. It was warm in Jean's house but dinner (Thai food) was yummy and we chatted with his cousin Mel and her husband. It was a nice end to the week.

We had to be out of the beach house by 10:00 Saturday so started doing some packing when we got home Friday night and were up early finishing on Saturday morning. We gave a bunch of food to Vivian, our trusty next door neighbor, packed the car and were out exactly on time. We stopped at John's uncle's house for a visit then went to Carolyn's to offload groceries and have lunch. I had time to kill after John left to return the rental car and get the train to Boston. Carolyn's dining room is my happy place so I enjoyed a couple of hours with Carolyn before she took me to the airport. I had a nice, tight itinerary so would be home just after 9:00 pm.

And then the delays started. The trip from Providence to Chicago was on time and uneventful but there was an hour delay on my connection. Then it was another hour then another. We boarded the plane 3 hours late and then sat waiting for paperwork. Well, that took so long that the pilot timed out and couldn't fly more that day, which meant they had to fly in a new crew. They were letting people off the plane but there was a sleeping kid in the next seat so I didn't get off. Little did I know we'd be sitting on the plane for 3 hours! I was so antsy by the time we took off that I was pumping my legs and twirling my ankles, neither of which helped much. I did manage to doze a bit, which was good because I didn't walk into my house until 3:00 am, which was 4:00 RI time. Sheesh! I took a shower and went to bed. Exhausted!

I slept until 9:00 because the cats had gone out in the wee hours so didn't wake me up. I had a blazing headache that lasted all morning but by the afternoon, I was able to unpack and do load after load of laundry because I had 2 sets of sheets from the beach plus a week's worth of clothes. It felt good to be home and despite my troubles getting home, it was a lovely week. Also, I got a $100 credit from Southwest so that was nice. That's why I always fly Southwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment