Thursday, August 19, 2021

Week 32 - Slamming and Relaxing

Well, there was payback for the break in year end meetings last week. Not only were there meetings one after the other all week but I worked 12.5 hours on Monday. I have a huge spreadsheet that I have to download, format and create formulas galore on and I had thought I'd go to campus to do it. But after working all day, I decided to get it done so did it from home on Monday night. Yes, I skipped knitting. Shocking, I know.

I made time between meetings on Tuesday for a Ripples zoom and then made sure I could leave for my last swim of the season on Wednesday evening. I slammed on year end stuff until 4:40 on Thursday, when I finished the carryforward entry for Mary. Then it was time to do some laundry and pack. I'd already done some packing during the week but it was time to finish and get the last chores done - changing cat boxes, emptying trash, etc. Because I was flying to Rhode Island on Friday morning.

Friday's travel was completely uneventful. I was at the airport with time to spare, my flights were full but on time and Cornelia picked me up at the airport on Friday at dinner time. Corn was flying to Denver Saturday morning so Friday was her only option to see me and Carolyn had invited her for dinner. We had a lovely time eating a nice meal and then chatting. She didn't stay late but it was great to see her.

John was taking the train from the city on Saturday so Carolyn and I were on Trader Joe's duty. Worried about crowds, we were there at 9:00 a.m. but it wasn't crowded at all. Finding the uber specific items on John's list took some time but we had the food back to the house and headed off for pedicures, my first in 2 years, at 11:00. From there we went to the Crow's Nest and I got my favorite fried clams for lunch. Delish! I even had some time for tea and knitting in Carolyn's dining room - my happy place - before John arrived. Nice.

John arrived later than he thought (issues with getting the rental car) and I screwed up. Apparently I'd told John we'd eat at Crow's Nest on our way south so I happily went back, this time getting a lobster roll. Yum! With full bellies, we headed south towards our beach house, hitting Stop & Shop for more groceries on the way. There was unpacking of groceries and clothes, making of beds and generally getting settled. It felt great to be back on Potter's Pond and I went to bed happy.


When I woke up on Sunday, John was on the couch and didn't look happy. His NYC Covid app had pinged him to say that on Thursday he'd been within 6 feet of someone who tested positive for more than 10 minutes. The kicker was, he had been home all day and only saw a single person in the laundry room but not close up and not for more than 10 minutes. Since it's based on proximity of cell phones, he figured it was someone in the next apartment. But just to be safe, he scheduled a drive thru Covid test so off we went. It was cloudy and spitting rain on and off but we walked around Wickford and had lunch at an outside table, confident that the ping was a mistake. His test came back negative the next day, of course, but what a way to start our relaxing beach week. Even with this start, I knew the coming week would be fabulous. Just to be playing Boggle on our deck overlooking the salt pond felt like heaven on earth. Hey! I think it just might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment