Monday, May 31, 2021

Week 21 - My New Knee

My surgery week was finally here! But first I had one last work day to get through but everything on my to do list was already done so I was ready to go.

I had a space meeting first thing on Monday and a demo that afternoon and spent the rest of the day documenting what needed to be done when I was out. I made rhubarb upside down cake to take to knitting, which would be the first sugar I'd had in 6 weeks. I had taken out a candy bar to have at lunch but couldn't do it. Knitting was fun and the dessert was delish. My last work day was done.

I had taken Tuesday off because Dottie was flying in and I needed to pick her up at the airport. Her flight was due in at 10:39 and I was there a bit early. Her flight came in but she wasn't coming out so I called her to tell her I was at the curb. Well, she was on her way to the airport in Indiana! She had changed her flight and never told me. OMG! I was not happy but decided to make the best of it so headed south to Aldi, stopping at Honda afterwards to ask how to get my money back. Because get this - 8 days after my transmission died, Honda extended the transmission warrantee to 150K miles so I could get my money back. Yay! They gave me the  number to call and a copy of my paperwork. Then I called Darla to see if she could do lunch and we met at Virginia's Cafe, which was lovely. Dottie's flight was due at 4:00 but I'd done all I had to do in Lincoln so drove back home. I went back for Dottie later and after dinner I packed and set multiple alarms. I had to be at the surgical center at 5:30 so we had to be up early. 

I slept fine. I really wasn't nervous at all. We were there on time and Dottie was allowed to stay with my while they did the IV and prepped me for surgery but was booted out when they rolled me out of pre-op. My surgery was at 8:00 so she went to Starbuck's and the French bakery for treats. She brought me coffee and a pain au raisin when I was back in my room. I was only allowed one visitor for the day so she was it. She left after a bit and I spent the day streaming and knitting between being poked and prodded by nurses. They wouldn't let me get dressed but did let me put underwear on under my johnny for my walk down the hallway. I was in the very last room, which was past a couple of offices and was an odd shape. Oh well.

The OT and PT people came Thursday morning and I was discharged before lunch. Dottie drove me home and the sitting/knitting began. I had my first real PT on Friday at 10:00 and it was like old home week seeing all the PT staff again. I made it through just fine. I was taking all the pain meds, doing all the icing like the good patient I am.

By Friday night it was hot and muggy but when I turned the AC on, it wasn't blowing cool air. I called Ed and the AC guy Ed knows but only heard back from Ed. Being the trooper he is, he came and tinkered a bit and did a temporary fix then got the AC guy on the phone and made an appointment for Saturday morning. I went to bed feeling better but Saturday was going to be a busy day.

The AC guy was there first thing as was the arborist who was taking down the enormous tree in my neighbor's yard that was over my roof. He was in and out explaining what he was doing and cleared a few things off my deck in case branches came down on my lawn. Then the tech came to drop off my bike, which is a new post surgery thing that my knee doc prescribes. It was bedlam in my house! When they all left, the peace and quiet was a treat.

I can't tell you what the rest of the weekend held. I was pretty doped up and didn't do much - sitting, knitting, icing and doing my bike 3 times a day. Dottie kept me fed and medicated. All good. It would all be downhill from here. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment