Monday, May 31, 2021

Week 18 - Cleaning and Connie

Connie was coming at the end of the week so my mad house cleaning was moved up a couple of weeks. That meant I went into high gear early in the week and got the entire house ready for company. That took the major cleaning off the list for right before surgery so was the icing on the cake of seeing Connie.

I was powering through stuff at work too - lots of training and demos of my new database. I also had house taxes due, which I dropped off after dark one night after finishing some cleaning. It was worth going out to cross that off my list. The week flew by and I got the final cleaning done during my lunch hour on Friday. Connie arrived just before 5:00 and the fun began.

The weather was going to be hot on the weekend so I suggested we walk at the dam first thing, which worked for Connie since she'd been in the car all day. It was gorgeous and we walked the entire dam and back. I was totally gimpy so was slow but we chatted the whole time and it was lovely. After dinner of egg roll in a bowl, we chatted for hours before heading to bed. Connie and I never run out of things to talk about.

The plan for Saturday was to head to Lincoln to meet up with Connie's daughter, Rachele. They were getting pedicures but there was no point in me getting one so close to surgery so I was running errands until they were done. First stop was Honda, where I picked up my newly repaired car. That was $1,600 out of pocket. Grrrr.... From there I stopped at Darla's to drop something off and then I was going to hang at Anne's until their toes were done. But on the way to Anne's, I drove by Rene's community garden and she was there so I stopped for a chat. When I got to Anne's, her friend Kate was there so I sat on the deck with them. It was a lovely morning with friends.

I met Rachele and Connie at Copal, which is one of my favorite restaurants in Lincoln. I was SO good. I did eat some chips and salsa but only had half of a quesadilla appetizer. I was determined not to blow my diet. When we finished lunch, Connie and I did some plant shopping at Urban Trails and then drove through campus. Connie has been gone so long that there were lots of new buildings to show her and the gardens were beautiful. Then it was home for more chatting, streaming and dinner. I miss hanging out with Connie!

We were back to Lincoln on Sunday for the farmer's market in College View. It's small compared to the downtown Saturday market, but the Husker spring game was Saturday so doing that market wasn't an option. I didn't buy anything but we had yummy lunch from Daffodil Catering. I got such a small portion of rice and meat that the owner said it was a sample and didn't charge me. I was killing my diet! Connie and I hit Menard's for flowers and Starbuck's on the way home. Then it was back home for yet more hanging out. Nice.

Connie had wanted to stay longer but I told her I was not willing to take vacation time so close to being out for the better part of a month for surgery and since I was working from home, I needed her gone on Monday so Sunday night was our last together. It was wonderful to see her again, even if it was only for 2+ days. That's all I ever stay when I visit her so it worked for me just fine.

Like I said, I miss Connie. She was my go to for running errands together and just hanging out. It's hard to believe she's been gone from Lincoln for 12 years. She was still in Nebraska for a couple of years after that but 100 miles away in Peru. Still, I saw her a lot when she was still in the state but now it's more like a couple of times a year. Maybe I'll see her more when I retire. Just 3 more years!


And since I didn't take a single picture while Connie was here, here's a pic of my amaryllis that were in full bloom while she was here.

No comments:

Post a Comment