Monday, May 31, 2021

Week 20 - The Final Push

It was my last full week before surgery and it was jam packed. I had a mix of the last things on my to do list plus lots of pre-surgery medical stuff, including the all important weigh in. The scale had been stuck for a few days despite doing 600/900 calorie days so I was a bit worried but there was nothing more I could do but hope.

I started Monday with a phone orientation with the surgical center then had a dentist appointment and my pre-surgery physical and weigh in on Tuesday morning. Everything went fine, including the weigh in. I came in .2 below the BMI the knee surgeon wanted me below. Good enough. I'd lost more than 18 pounds in 5 weeks. After a big training for business managers at UNO (the Omaha campus of University of Nebraska), I happily headed to Ashland for a celebratory dinner at BW's with Lori and Andrea. I started with my favorite Vanilla Bean Blonde beer, Brussels sprouts and tot-chos (nachos over tater tots) for my main course. I wasn't going to eat sweets until the following week but just to eat yummy, flavorful food was a treat after dieting so intensely for the past 6 weeks.

Wednesday was the last full work day of the week because we had the All Staff Conference on Thursday morning and all day Friday. I had more demos of forms I'd created and slammed to get a few more things done. I taught my last training of fiscal year 21 on Wednesday afternoon then had my monthly Ripples meeting, which I usually enjoy but was distracted this time. Maybe subliminal stress? Not sure but after that I drove to Lincoln for the last swimming with Anne and Rene. I had been using Anne's guest passes but she had rejoined Campus Rec so her gym membership was lapsing. It was perfect timing for me and I needed the swim after such a busy week.

Thursday morning was the keynote and some panel discussions at the All Staff Conference, which was all done via Zoom. I then slammed through a few more things and at the end of the day, I drove to Lincoln for a get together at a bar near campus for one of the accountants who was leaving our department. We sat outside and it was wonderful to see my work friends in person. Last summer was the last time I'd seen most of them. 

Friday was full of break out sessions for the conference and I enjoyed most of them. Helen brought lunch over and we chatted over Mocha C's chicken salad then I had vet appointments at 1:00 for the cats. I was only able to catch 2 of the 3 so took them. The vet is still not letting anyone inside so you wait in the parking lot and they come and get your cats, do their thing then bring them back out. Just after I got there, I watched them put down a farmer's dog in the truck parked next to me. I talked to the man while they went inside to run his credit card and barely held it together. When he drove away, I burst into tears and was such a mess that I forgot to have them put the flea stuff on the cats, which I didn't remember until I got home. But they gave me the shot for Gansey (the one I couldn't catch) and all the paperwork I needed to register them. I was home in 20 minutes and back to conference sessions. I had made it through my last full work week and had crossed lots of things off my list.

I had spinning in Fremont on Saturday, which was fun. We ran our errands before spinning so were home relatively early that afternoon. I had a few things left to do in the yard as well as my regular chores. Lorri had dropped off tomato and pepper seedlings and I had a few more perennials to plant and hoses to set up. I plugged away at these over the rest of the weekend and got it all done. I felt pretty good going into my last day at work and felt ready for my surgery. Just 2 more days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment