Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Week 25 - Covid Vacation Plans

It was another eventful week. Yay!

I got a message from John on Tuesday. He'd found a beach house to rent at Matunuck - tiny but with a private dock on a salt pond and a 5 minute walk from the state beach. I was in! I used my Southwest credit from the cancelled Berkley trip last fall (wild fires) figuring I could get another credit if I didn't feel safe flying. I can always drive or worst case scenario, Carolyn can use my half if I can't get there. At this point, I've got so much vacation time and money from my cruise refund that it's worth the risk. I hope it all works out.

As if that wasn't excitement enough for a Tuesday, the Monday Night Knitters were back in the library! They weren't open evenings every night yet so we moved to Tuesday. It felt great to be back in the library, in the big room so we could sit 6' apart. I wiped down the tables and we were back to normal. Ish. Still it felt good.

I was sitting enjoying my coffee and mini wheats on Wednesday morning when I looked onto my deck and saw a beautiful cat that I'd never seen before. I immediately went onto the local lost pets Facebook group and there was a post from someone the next street over looking for this exact cat. She was a long haired tortie with an orange stripe down her nose so there was no mistaking her. I called the number and the woman was at work in Lincoln so said she'd call her son and have him come right over. She suggested I try to grab her but when I tried to put more food down, she bolted. I scrambled to get dressed and then he showed up with his sister half an hour later. The cat was long gone and he didn't even try to call her. Useless! The adults came over after work that night and they tried to find her but failed. I saw the man (the cat was his baby) again the next morning, cruising the alley shaking a can of treats. I still don't know if they found her. I  hope so.

The weather changed with storms on Thursday, so much so that I was able to turn off the AC and open the windows. I love that! At work we had our first big staff meeting via zoom with ~30 people, which was interesting. Otherwise it was a quick week (also nice) and I was excited for the weekend.

It started Friday night with a very belated birthday dinner for Andrea and Lori. We'd been schedule to meet in Ashland the week the world shut down so this was 3 months late. Lori was in town for a hair appointment so we had Chinese food on my deck. The weather was absolute perfection and we enjoying catching up after we ate. After Lori left for the ride back to Omaha, Andrea and sat out until dark. Lovely.

Saturday was the last day of Brooks Books. Andrea had finally decided to close the shop - end of an era. It was the last time I'd pop in to find Andrea behind her counter knitting at her laptop. 
Lori had cleaned her out of sock yarn on Friday night but I was Andrea's last customer and found a few skeins Lori missed plus a few other goodies. Andrea locked up and we headed to spinning at Danielle's in Valley. 

The weather was still gorgeous so we were meeting in her driveway in socially distanced chairs. It was a lot of fun - sitting in the shade, drinking yummy sangria and chatting with spinning friends. Another wonderful day. I could get used to this! Unfortunately I ended the day with overcooked and overpriced prime rib, complete with canned green beans and gray mashed potatoes, from a local restaurant. Never again. Lesson learned.

I had tried to mow the night before but couldn't get the mower started so emailed John to see if he'd mow Sunday morning. He showed up with his mom, who was going to use the chain saw on a stump left from last week's tree clearing. Heidi and I were knitting on the deck when it started to rain. John ran to finish the last bit of the lawn and they were off. All this before 10:00 in the morning! With that auspicious start, I decided to power through the rest of the yarn organization and by day's end, the yarn was back in the closet and the bed in the spare room was no longer a heap of crap. I even did some long overdue cleaning. Nothing like redemption to finish off a good week. Ahhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment