Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Week 22 - My May List

Any week that starts with a Monday holiday is a good one but more importantly, this was the last week of May. I had big plans to get things done so I could start June off on the right foot. But first Monday...

I did something I haven't done in a long time. I wanted to go to Fremont to run some errands and I called Andrea to see if she would be willing to go with me. In the same car. We weighed the risks and decided it was OK. There was not excitement on the list - just a couple of grocery stores - bit it felt SO normal. We picked up some goat milk at someone's acreage for Andrea's next cheese batch then I found my favorite tea at Baker's - Tetley's British Blend, which was the reason for the trip. Then Aldi and a quick stop for a 4 pack of petunias and we were done. I was very disappointed that Starbuck's was closed so my 2+ month Starbuck's drought continued. Anyway, the normal errand day felt like an absolute treat. 

Tuesday was a busy work day and I had my normal grab and go lunch from Mocha C's. I had an 8:30 meeting on Wednesday so did something I haven't done in months - I set an alarm! I woke up before it went off but couldn't take the chance. The meeting lead to more work, this time on another form for HR. After work I mowed, which still feels great after years of not doing it myself. Love my new knee, which isn't do new anymore.

Thursday was a big day. I had vet appointments for all 3 cats in preparation for registering them for the first time. Getting Gansey into a carrier is always iffy but I had all 3 in carriers and in the car with no drama. I sat in the parking lot at the vet while they came out for one cat at a time so I never went inside. I even paid in the lot. After dropping the cats back home, I went to City Hall and registered them. Good thing I'm not spending money these days because all this cost almost $400, a big chunk of which was the flea treatment. But done is good. My month end to do list was getting shorter each day and even shorter when I finally did my taxes that evening. I know. Late!

Friday was going to be a banner day. Anne was coming over after work to walk at the dam and get dinner. It had been a long time since we'd done that so I was excited. When I got a message that our friend Susan (the woman I drove to Oregon with last summer) was in town, I invited her to join us for dinner. Excellent. Then I got a call at 11:30 from Rene, who was in the area and wanted to do lunch. I had sloppy joes on the menu so she came over for a quick lunch on the deck. Two social events in one day! I finished HR's form that afternoon and Anne arrived just after 5:00. Since Susan was coming at 6:00, we had to shorten our walk a bit but it still felt good to move. We had a lovely dinner and then I did a fire in the driveway. Another night that felt like the old normal. Nice way to start the weekend.

I woke up to a glorious rainy day on Saturday. It was downright chilly and I loved hearing the rain on the roof. I took advantage of one of the last cool days and made homemade Boston baked beans. Yum! I hadn't made them all winter and they require the oven to be on for hours so this was the perfect day. I did some general neatizing and chores because I had big plans for Sunday. 

A few years ago I'd rearranged my bedroom so that I could take advantage of the brand new spots on my non-flipping mattress. I'll never by one of those again. But I digress... While it did give me a firmer spot, it also meant the only floor vent was under the bed. This is fine in the winter when I use my heated mattress pad but in summer having the only AC vent blocked sucks. I've made do for years by moving the bed away from the wall and putting the mattress as far down in the frame as it will go to create a slot for some air to make it into the room. This creates a walking hazard trying to get around the bed so I had decided to go back to the old configuration. This meant moving a stack of yarn totes out of the room, which of course meant a total reorg of all my yarn, and when I moved the furniture, I had to clean everything - walls, floors, furniture. OMG - the dust bunnies! So that's what I did all day Sunday and it was so worth it. Not only was my room clean and cool but it looked so much neater with those totes gone. 

I was ready for summer just in time for blazing heat that would be arriving on Monday. And my May list was done. All of it. That's not to say I don't have plenty more on my to do list for the summer but I got lots of things done that I'd been slacking on since quarantine began. Time to get busy with the new normal and come up with a summer routine. No excuses anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment