Thursday, June 25, 2020

Week 24 - Socializing and Swimming

Compared to recent quarantine weeks, it felt this this one had a lot going on. 

First off, my ancient iPad died. It owed me nothing (I bought it used 8 years ago) but I was lost without it. It's my preferred method for reading in bed because I don't need a light, it turns off when I fall asleep and I can increase the font size. I have a Kindle but it can't compare in any way. Luckily, Anne had given me a slightly newer iPad a few years ago so after hours of dinking, I was able to wipe it out and restore my data from a cloud backup. My email doesn't work (I'm sure Allan - the tech guru at work will be able to fix that) nor my weather app and the iPad is too old to download any new apps or updates. But the kindle app is working just fine so I was back in business after only 2 nights using the Kindle. Nice.

On the productivity front, Thursday was a perfectly windless day so I had the kid who mows come over with his loppers and herbicide to deal with the weed trees. But he couldn't come over until after work so with a 7:30 start, I had to help. I ended up doing the heavy cutting because I didn't want anything to do with the chemicals. We worked until dark and had piles and piles of trees, which I paid John extra to come back and haul away the next day. I discovered a few we missed but I'm hopeful that the ones we cut won't grow back from the stumps.

As for being social, I had lunch with Lorri and her husband on Wednesday, which was a delay from my usual Tuesday takeout because of weather. And while it was not storming, it was still too windy to eat outside so I sat at one end of their dining room table with Lorri and her husband at the other end. It was nice to get out of the house for an hour midday. 

I took Friday afternoon as vacation time and after a leisurely lunch watching a Grocery Girls podcast, I headed to Lincoln. My goal was to get Starbuck's for the first time in almost 3 months so that was my first stop. I used points to get a gynormous mocha frapuccino and headed to campus to check on my cats. They were hungry and I had no food in my car so I clearly needed to talk to the Friday feeder. I felt bad leaving them but had a schedule to stick to. After popping into St. Louise's for some tea lights, I headed to the Best Western by I-80 for water aerobics. 

An instructor from the Y, which is closed, was teaching every afternoon at 5:00 in the tiny hotel pool. There were 8 of us in the pool and 6 were UNL people. I didn't feel unsafe but would have preferred a bigger pool. Still, it felt great to be moving again. Afterwards, I picked up a pizza and headed to Anne's where she, Rene and I chatted for hours. It was warm but not unpleasant with a nice breeze and shade as the sun set. It was a banner evening and I enjoyed every minute.

My nephew, who works for United Airlines, had called midweek to say he would most likely be in Omaha for 4 hours Saturday afternoon. Since non-paying employees are the first bumped when a flight hits the 70% full Covid limit, he wouldn't know for sure until Saturday morning. So I got up and was ready to leave but waiting for a confirmation phone call, which I got at 9:30. I headed to Omaha and picked him up at 11:00. 

The plan was to find lunch somewhere but we had an hour to kill so walked the Bob Kerry Bridge over the Missouri. Or rather I walked it. Drew had been up since 4:00 and was so exhausted that he stopped at the halfway point and waited for me to finish and come back. We killed just enough time to hit a micro brewery near downtown but come to find out, that location didn't serve food. Drew was also starving so after finishing the beer he'd ordered while I was in the ladies' room, we headed to Benson. I wanted to find a restaurant where we could eat outside and we found a German brewery with a table in the shade in a big beer garden. The food was delish but the smallest beer they served was twice what I could drink so I left half there. Sacrilege! 

Drew must have checked the time 30 times while we were eating. He was only halfway through his flights and had a chance of being bumped on either of the next 2 so I think he was travel nervous. It was also blazing hot by now and nothing was open so he told me to drop him back at the airport early so he could nap at the gate. I was done in Omaha hours earlier than I'd planned so I headed towards Aldi. When I realized I'd have to drive right by my fave Omaha yarn shop, I stopped and bought a gorgeous skein of sock yarn. Yay! Then I ran through Aldi because I'd forgotten my mask in the car, which I didn't realize until I'd sanitized my cart and was halfway up the first aisle. Since less than half of the people were wearing masks, I didn't look unusual but I didn't feel good about it. People without masks are idiots and I looked like one of them. : (

A busy week, right? I spent Sunday inside doing some much needed cleaning and catching up with friends on the phone. Other than spending time with Drew, my socializing all felt safe and was a welcome change from so much isolation. Hopefully I can include more safe socializing going forward so that summer will have some interest beyond what I can stream and knit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment