Monday, March 9, 2020

Week 9 - Letting Things Go

The theme for my week was letting things go. Not a bad way to end the month. But first there was food.

I drove to Natasha's over lunch on Monday to deliver some recuperation tetrazzini. She looked great and we visited for longer than I should have (so much for an hour lunch break) and then she sent me a cute picture of her eating it for supper. That made me feel great. The food theme continued with food day on Tuesday, for which I brought my Mexican cheese dip. On Wednesday, Dodie and I had lunch with Van, who is someone fun on the UAAD executive board. Meeting him may be the only good thing that came from being back on the board. We had fun over salads at Panera. 

After dinner Wednesday night, I broke a tooth while flossing. Clearly there is no justice in the world. I called first thing Thursday morning and they could fit me in Thursday at 4:30. Gotta love a small town dentist. He put in a temp filling and scheduled me for either a replacement filling or crown prep for 10 days out. He won't know which until the drilled starts. Yikes!

About the cleaning lady. I had been frustrated with her and so called her from the car after swimming on Wednesday. Our original orientation had been cut short when Lorri stopped by after church and then took her away to hire her so I wanted to discuss what mattered to me vs. what she could ignore. The talk went well and I had high hopes that I'd finally get a good clean. Yeah, right. When I got home Thursday after the dentist, not only had she not done the cobwebs on the kitchen light that I specifically mentioned but she also hadn't washed the bathroom floor, as evidenced by the mud from shoes I'd let melt on the floor (see pic). Seriously? Time to fire her and remove the annoyance of paying through the nose for crap work. 

Continuing on the removing of annoyance, I decided not to join UNL's Master Gardener program. It's a lame program that frustrates me to no end and I have no chance of getting in enough hours so I didn't pay my dues by the February 28th deadline and crossed that off my list. DONE!

Now for the sale. I had waited to do the final fabric sorting until after the cleaning lady came so brought up all the baskets of fabric when I got home Thursday and started sorting. It took hours but before bedtime, I had all the totes full of smaller pieces with bigger pieces back in the baskets. I left pulling stamps and loading the car for Friday night. Speaking of Friday, when I went outside Friday morning, I found the door of my car wide open. Apparently I'd been planning another trip out to the car. I dodged a bullet that no stray cat got inside and sprayed but I think the big orange kitty who sometimes sleeps on my deck may have slept in there because there was an off smell but at least not urine. Anyway, I loaded the car and pulled the stamps Friday after work as soon as I got home. I'd been making a list of things I might need so pulled those together Friday night too. I went to bed feeling ready. 

I woke up super early so whipped up some banana bread and was at Andrea's at 7:15. She had offered to go with me, which took a load off my mind and would make it a fun day. We arrived at 8:00 and unloaded to our table, leaving some free time to check out other tables before the sale opened at 9:00. There was a Moda rep selling charm packs of quilt fabric that we both got some of. But back to selling... There were steady amounts of people all morning and I sold steadily. Lori came around noon and sat with us chatting for a couple of hours. The people had dried up by then, probably because it was a gorgeous day outside so people were out and about instead of inside. I ended up selling about a third or maybe a half of what I brought and we started packing up at 2:00 along with many other sellers.

Andrea and I ran some errands and were at The Acadian Grille, the Cajun restaurant I wanted to try, when they opened for dinner at 4:00. I got shrimp and grits, which was delish, and we shared a beer. I dropped Andrea and was back home by 5:30. I left the car in the driveway and went inside to collapse. It had been a long day and I ended up making ~$175, which in my mind was not worth all the effort but nothing ventured nothing gained. And I still had tons of fabric to get rid of. Oh well. I was exhausted and waiting for bedtime so it was great when I discovered the series Hunters on Prime. That kept me engaged until it was time to go to bed. 

It was another gorgeous day so between doing 3 loads of laundry and hanging them on the line, I unloaded the car and sorted fabric AGAIN, this time allocating some to donate, some to keep and a basket to take to spinning to see if the quilters want any of it. And since the car was empty and the seats down, I ran to the car wash and vacuumed out the back of the car then went home to put the car back to normal. Otherwise there was sitting/knitting, of course, and no cooking. I had chips and salsa for supper and called it good. 

So it was overall a productive week. I let go of 2 major annoyances and got rid of a bunch of physical stuff. All good. And since Sunday was March 1st, I was implementing my Gone is Good motto for March. My hope is that I will spend the ridiculously light filled yet too cold to work outside days after the too early time change to keep working inside, purging, organizing and donating, so I'm ready to get outside in the yard as soon as spring weather arrives. I have high hopes.








No comments:

Post a Comment