Thursday, March 26, 2020

Week 11 - Starting to Worry

What a week! It started out so nicely with a day off work because of a midday dentist appointment. Alas, it all went downhill from there.

After a leisurely morning at home, I headed to the dentist at 11:30 for some drilling. I had hoped he could save the tooth and just fill it but, of course, it was a goner so he prepped me for a crown. This will be the 4th upper molar with a crown. Half way to completely crowned! Just call me Princess Merry.

I headed home to let the Novocaine wear off and stop drooling. Right when I got home, an email came from Craft Cruises with cancellation details for our Baltic cruise in May and our Facebook group exploded. I volunteered to call the travel agent to clarify some confusing things and then I posted to our group. We had until the 20th to decide and we'd only lose our deposit, which would be issued with a credit for a future cruise. A few decided then and there to cancel but Anne and I figured we'd wait and see. I headed to Monday Night Knitting, hopeful that the corona virus would subside.

I had loaded up the huge bag of yarn and all the rubber stamps into the car so dropped those off at St. Monica's over lunch on Tuesday then hit Aldi for some groceries. I made a to do list that afternoon at work and went home and did absolutely everything on the list that night. That rarely happens so I was pleased. 

The last thing on Tuesday's list was to load clothes to donate into the car and I dropped them in a Peoples City Mission toss box over lunch on Wednesday while running errands. More stuff out of my house - yay! Anne and I talked about the cruise in the pool and were leaning towards cancelling the cruise. Trump's speech that night sealed the deal and I emailed the travel agent to say we were out. This was getting serious! And I didn't know it but that was the last time I'd be swimming for a long time. Maybe forever.

On Thursday, I slammed on travel reports all morning, pulling details on who was outside of the country and where they were. I went straight home that night with worry setting in. 

UNL had announced that there would be no classes starting Monday, giving students a 2 week spring break, and all classes would be online starting March 30th. Students were encouraged to go home so on Friday, campus was already emptying out. I suggested to Layton that we go to the Chinese buffet because it would probably be the last time we'd eat there for awhile. We practically had the place to ourselves. We were one of 4 parties in a restaurant with at least 50 tables. Rene was having a potluck at her house that night and I'd made a pie. There was no talk about the virus but it felt like it might be the last gathering for awhile. With each new day, things were getting weirder and weirder.

On Saturday, Andrea and ventured to Fremont. It only seemed a bit less busy than usual and hand sanitizer was out in several stores. We hit the Restore for 20 minutes before they closed then went to Baker's supermarket in search of goat's milk for Andrea to make cheese. We had free coupons but didn't find the milk. We went to the estate sale store and bought a few things there then headed to Goodwill. I wasn't feeling it so went to the car to knit while Andrea finished shopping. We then hit Aldi, where I spent $50 despite having already shopped that week. I did NOT buy toilet paper, even though they had plenty. Actually the shelves were well stocked. We went across the street to Wal-Mart, which was a mob scene, and found the goat milk there. We grabbed it and got out of Dodge. I enjoyed Saturday snack supper of stuffies (stuffed clams like you see in Rhode Island, which I found at Aldi of all places) and beer. It felt good to be home.

I spent Sunday holed up - talking to family and friends, doing chores, cooking and worrying. Things were scarier with every passing day and I was ready to stay home for the long haul. The students were gone but staff still had to report but I felt like it had to be coming. It was just a waiting game and while I'm not usually a worrier, I was starting to. Me and the rest of the planet so at least I had company.

No comments:

Post a Comment