Monday, March 9, 2020

Week 10 - Gone is Good

With March here, I was determined to keep going with my Gone is Good plan so started Monday but dropping a big bag of fabric in a Peoples City Mission toss box while running errands over lunch. Check that off. I also hit the bread store, a Goodwill (no yarn scores) and 5 Below, where I found the cat pin set I was looking for. All good and I ended the day at Monday Night Knitting.

We had a lunch and learn on investing on Tuesday hosted by Union Bank. Having just met with my Fidelity rep, I was pretty much all set but you can always learn something and the mac & cheese they brought was delish and I took another plate, at their urging, which would come in handy the next day. But Tuesday night was my go straight home night and my goal was to reclaim my back room, which was still filled with all the fabric. I had it fully sorted and put away before I sat down for the night. Of course Andrea called at 8:45 to say that St. Wenz (the local Catholic church) was looking for fabric. I'd just moved to baskets to the basement. : (

In continuing with letting things go, after the UAAD exec board meeting over lunch on Wednesday, I decided I'm done with that too. Now I'm a former president of UAAD (University Association for Administrative Development) and was back on the board this year as co-chair of a committee. UAAD is the ghost of what it was in my day, with very few members and low attendance at every meeting/event, even when we're giving away ice cream sundaes. Dodie, Van and I had talked about suggesting a reboot but the resistance to any of my suggestions at the board meeting made me realize it was useless so I'm done with UAAD once this academic year is over. This getting rid of annoying things feels great and I hope it'll have a positive impact on my life.

I had woken up with a dry throat Tuesday morning but it was still an issue (dry but not really sore) by that night so I started zicam'ing and kept it up Wednesday morning. It was clear by mid-afternoon that it was the start of a cold so I took a Claritin D and ignored it. I swam after work and then went back to the office to eat the mac & cheese leftovers from Tuesday before heading to the library with Cindy for a lecture about hidden archives from Jews who lived in the Wausau ghetto. It was fascinating and I learned a lot.

We had a big staff meeting on Thursday, where there was talk of what to do about corona virus and the "if you're sick stay home" thing, which the chancellor had emailed about earlier, was reinforced. When I got back to the office, I was given grief for being at work with a cold. Seriously? I was fully functional and the Claritin was masking my symptoms but if I blew my nose, Ben gave me grief. I had a full day again on Thursday despite the cold. I thrifted over lunch and scored the ever illusive sock yarn at Goodwill then met Dodie at CostCo after work for some shopping. I wasn't impressed by their prices (Aldi is cheaper for sure) and the huge packages that don't work for a single person but I did find my favorite Canadian candy - OMG's (not good to have that in the house) - and got the 2 things I've had friends get me over the years - laundry detergent and raw sugar. After eating pizza and ice cream with Dodie and filling up on cheap gas, I headed home. See? Fully functional.

Despite all that, I called in sick on Friday, for which I was thanked by my boss and his boss. Sheesh! I did some work from home in the morning but then sat in the sun in my nightie for the rest of the morning. While I didn't get showered and dressed until late afternoon, I did manage to sort yarn all afternoon. I went through every single bag and basket in the spare room and ended up with a HUGE bag of yarn to donate to St. Monica's (an inpatient rehab in Lincoln that accepts donations for their art therapy program) along with the unsold rubber stamps from last week's sale. Get a load of this bag! Another success in my gone is good month.

I still felt fine, and maybe some better, on Saturday so loaded the fabric into the car and started in on clothes. My goal was to get the spare room under control and I did it. I went through all the clothes piled on the bed and came up with another pile to donate. I also found 3 that Gansey had chewed. Damn cat! When I was done, I had everything in the closet, drawers or totes, safe from her chewing. What are all these clothes you ask? It's 2 entire wardrobes from one and two sizes down from where I am now because I've gained a butt load of weight back. Time to get busy addressing that too.

I was not as productive as I should have been on Sunday, probably because I knew I'd have Monday to catch up since I was home all day because of my 11:30 dental appointment, which was all he had on short notice. I didn't even do laundry! But I did clean up the kitchen and got caught up stashing yarn plus talked to my cousin, my friend Sharyn and both sisters. With the windows open to get some fresh air in the house, I made a charity hat and started a cowl with some of the mystery yarn I'd kept after the big yarn purge. All in all, I was fine with my weekend and would catch up on laundry and cooking on Monday, when it would be raining and I'd be drooling from Novocain. All good.

No comments:

Post a Comment