Thursday, March 26, 2020

Week 12 - Social Distancing Starts

It was a quiet week. Every day got quieter and quieter. Most students had left campus, Lincoln schools were closed so anyone with kids was home taking care of them and people who wanted to work from home were doing so - more and more each day. We were waiting for word that all employees would stay home too. In the meantime, I watched every news program I could fit into life - getting up early, going straight home and online at work when we got news alerts. In the meantime, I was knitting and knitting and knitting. But not at the library because we were being good social distancers.

We finally got the word Wednesday that all but essential staff should work from home starting on Monday. I had a class scheduled Wednesday afternoon but all the people signed up for it were already at home so I worked with Cindy to set it up as a zoom meeting with me in the training room and everyone zooming in from home. And then I had a meeting with Mary.

We were sitting in her office going over some data she needed when the post-nasal drip from the remnants of my cold set in and I started coughing. I coughed for a minute or so and we kept going with our meeting. I was back at my desk when Mary came over and said she needed to see me. I assumed it was about more data but she told me that people had heard me coughing and I needed to go home. Really? There was no talking her out of it so I had to cancel my class and go home. Unbelievable!

I had a nice afternoon once I got over being pissed and made a blueberry pie to take to work Thursday. But in order to be allowed back to work, I had to prove I didn't have a fever so I took a picture of my thermometer showing a regular temperature and went to work. I had plenty to do to get ready for working at home and Thursday flew by.

I spent Friday finishing things up and Cindy and I hit Aldi over lunch, where I bought 2 more bags of food, mostly veggies. I had hopes that I'd be set for food for a long time. It was too cold to take my plants home so I'd have to go back for them after we were shut down.

I've never liked working from home, preferring home to be home and work to be work, but now I had no choice. So I spent the weekend getting ready. Saturday's weather was nice so I did my chores, including washing linens and hanging them outside. I also organized my food cupboards and the fridge and had all my chores done by the end of the day. 

My goal for Sunday, when it would be cold and dreary, was to reclaim my desk to be my at home work station. Now my desk is between my kitchen and family room where the dining room table should be but I moved that to the front room years ago and the desk became a catch all for piles of crap. It was stacked with papers, yarn, whatever! It was a disaster area. This was the perfect reason to reclaim it as a desk. And while I'm not proud of this, here are the before and after pics. Much better!



What a freaky week! The whole country was on lock down and we were heading into uncharted territory. Working from home, staying inside and always keeping 6 feet away from anyone if we did go out. I had hopes that I wouldn't hate working from home. Time would tell. Stay healthy everyone and be as happy as you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment