Thursday, February 27, 2020

Week 8 - Fun vs. Adulting

It was a harried week but only because I was so busy the prior weekend that I was totally unprepared for the week. As in I didn't even fold my clean underwear – just threw them into the drawer in a wad. That kind of unprepared. Cereal for dinner unprepared. Forgetting to wear a pin twice! It all lead to being pretty darn cranky by the end of the week but my weekend without commitments turned things around.

Cindy was off on Monday and I missed having her at work. I like the 50/50 split so without Cindy, the testosterone levels were out of balance. So I ran to Joann's at lunch and bought some fabric. I'm not buying yarn but I got some cool sheep fabric. 2 months so far on my cold sheeping, btw. 10 more to go. Anyway…. Since it was a holiday and the library was closed, we were knitting at the Vets' Club, which is where we met when the library was closed after the flood. It's not open on Mondays but we leave cash for any booze we drink and I brought pizza. Andrea brought puppy chow (muddy buddies for east coasters – you know, the choc/PB chex stuff) and Erica brought delish caramel desserts in individual cups. We didn't have to stop at 8:00 (when the library closes) so it was a late night. But fun. I kind of miss knitting at the club.

On Tuesday, I picked up fish and chips for supper from the On the Hook food truck that was parked in Wahoo. I'd had it once before and wasn't impressed so decided to try it again. Nope. Done with that. After eating my expensive and lackluster fish, I sat on my butt like a lump all night and went to bed early. Alas, this didn't go very far towards recharging my energy but it did feel good while I was vegging.

The rest of the work week was uneventful but included more overpriced food, both lunches – one at a professional development lunch ($14 for a baked potato with cheese whiz, no drink and no dessert!) and a bad choice at Red Fox that was $14 plus tip for a chicken sandwich and onion chips. At least that tasted good. I swam Wednesday (for only 25 minutes after being held up at work) and again on Friday, when I was the only student. But it had we exercised, showered and ready for the weekend, which is why I like to swim on Fridays. Yay!

I had 4 major goals for the weekend – catch up on all my chores, prepare for the sale in Omaha on the 29th, cook up a storm and find some time between all that for quality sitting/knitting time. I'm happy to say I got it all done.

I thoroughly enjoyed knitting in the sun all morning on Saturday. I forced myself to get up and dressed before lunch then started on the fridge, which was a disaster area. I made a batch of Israeli salad, which made a dent in some of the produce, and then threw lots more produce into the compost pile. It was another unseasonably warm day but the ground was super saturated so yard work was out of the question. I opened some windows and puttered the day away, making a decent dent in my to do list. When I stopped for the day, I made squash pasta and enjoyed it with some tree buck chuck (cheap wine from Trader Joe's), which killed any thoughts of post supper productivity. But I kicked into high gear on Sunday, finishing my chores and completely cleaning out the fridge. I then went down to my craft room and pulled more fabric for the Omaha sale. I had hoped to do some sorting into totes but didn't get to that. Oh well. As soon as I came upstairs, I started cooking.

I had promised to make tetrazzini for my friend Natasha, who just had back surgery, so that was first up on the list. I made 2 small casseroles (for Anne and me) and one big one for Natasha. That done, I decided to make some mulled apple cider jelly. I didn't have enough sugar for the official sure-gel recipe so found something that used less sugar on the web. I'm not sure it set but I can always use it in recipes if it's too runny to spread. I have lots of frozen fruit in the freezer so need to get busy making more jam. Maybe in March.

So a weekend at home getting things done was just what I needed to improve my mood. I'm all for chucking responsibilities in favor of having fun but this week proved there's a price to pay for too much fun. I don't know if it's an age thing or what but I'm getting to the point of not being able to go full out all weekend and then function during the week. Time to do some adulting and make sure I'm prepped for the week before I hit the hay on Sunday. Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment