Monday, February 3, 2020

Week 4 - Some Midweek Inspiration

Monday started with another sunny morning basking in the sun. Nothing wrong with that! And when I lost the sun, I powered through my to do list then went to knitting at the library. I'd call that a wonderful start to the week.

We had miserable weather all week – snow then rain then frozen slush. Then more of the same. Winter in Nebraska so I shouldn't complain but it was bad enough that Dodie cancelled our lunch culture on Thursday. That did give me time to hit Aldi though so I got that off my list but no quilt museum. Oh well.


The highlight of the week was a Martin Luther King celebration on campus that featured Ruby Bridges. Now I'll admit that the name didn't mean anything to me (my bad) but I was thrilled to learn she was the little girl who first integrated New Orleans schools in the 60's. You know, the one in the little white dress in the Normal Rockwell painting. She was a wonderful speaker and I thoroughly enjoyed the event. I try to take advantage of things like this since I work at a university but I could clearly do more. Time to intentionally incorporate more culture.

I had emailed the swimming coordinator early in the week about reinstituting the swimming only pass, which we'd had for years when we swam in Mabel Lee but when we moved to the official Rec Center, it went away. Or so we'd been told. But after professing ignorance of what I was asking about, the coordinator rebutted and said they had figured out how to do it last August. Since she had never told any of us about it, we'd all been paying $45/month just to swim when we could have been paying $75 for the entire semester. I sent her a pissed off email and she tried to blame the marketing people. So not their fault! Why do so many people have problems accepting responsibility for things? At least now I can cancel my membership and pay less. I figure I'm out nearly $100 because of her lack of communication. Grrrr….

The weather didn't cooperate Saturday morning but I'll admit that I got lots more done because I didn't spend all morning enjoying the sun. I went into my bedroom and started slogging through clothes. I had intended to just get my closet under control but that lead to bureau drawers and before you know it, I had gone through both dressers too. My donate pile was huge and I no longer had stacks of clothes that don't fit getting in my way. The only thing left to go was shoes but I could live with that. I went to bed early and enjoyed reading in my toasty bed. Not such a bad way to end a gloomy, cold Saturday.

The sun did cooperate Sunday and since it was going to be above freezing, I got up periodically to do many loads of laundry so I could hang them out while the sun shined. I had sheets, sweater and jeans on the line before noon. I can't say they dried before dark so I had to finish them up in the dyer. They didn't have the lovely outdoor scent on my sheets but at least I tried.

I moved at a snail's pace all day and did manage to get my chores done but not the cooking I'd planned. It was the last day of my rotation and I'd eaten very little all weekend but still didn't break 10 pounds. Oh well. And since I was determined to have pie at knitting during my week off, I was making lemon sponge pies at 9:00 Sunday night – one for knitting and one for Donna to thank her for the lemons she brought me from California. It was a nice way to end a short work week.

No comments:

Post a Comment