Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Week 31 - Goodbye Mabel Lee

It was closing meeting week at work (the busiest week of my work year) and I was also prepping for my Rhode Island trip so life was busy on all fronts. Which is why I absolutely didn't need an accident to start my week.

It was the last week of swimming in Mabel Lee so after vacillating on whether to go Monday night or not, which is always rushed because of Monday Night Knitting at the library, I decided to go but leave early. And after leaving 5 minutes early, I promptly backed into someone when leaving the parking lot. Now this is a lot with less than 10 cars and I wasn't 3 feet out of the spot when I heard a crunch from the back corner of my car broadsiding a man's jeep. All of my lights were in pieces, including the one embedded in the bumper, and the corner fender piece was twisted and dinged. His passenger side door was dented and his running board was hanging. It'll cost me thousands between my $500 deductible and the jacked up insurance rate I'm sure is coming. But at least both cars were drivable so I headed to knitting. Damn!

I was still beating myself up about the car so did some retail therapy over lunch on Tuesday at the new yarn shop in town. It was lovely and did help improve my mood. It was fair drop off night and since neither Lorri nor I had been called to volunteer, despite having done it every year for at least a decade, I was only dropping off my entries. I had a hair appointment first, dropped my entries and was home early. Nice. I ran back to check ribbons after swimming on Wednesday and got 6 blues and a best of lot on my gansey socks. Yay! I might have to consider entering them in the state fair now.

The rest of the week was a blur of meeting prep and year end stuff. Ben, who is supposed to be my new boss, started on Thursday and is in the 4th cubie in our office. He's got a penetrating voice and the noisiest keyboard ever so it will take some getting used to after co-existing with just my 2 quiet co-workers since March. He's a great addition to the team though so it's all good.

Also, we had our last swimming at Mabel Lee that night so a bunch of people who used to swim with us came back. We had a lot of fun and then went to Honest Abe's for a party afterwards. Anne had bought a big cookie decorated like our pool for after our burgers. It was fun but bittersweet. Water aerobics will now be across the street in a lane or 2 of the 3' deep lap pool. Not fun.

Friday started with formatting the BIG year-end spreadsheet, which takes hours and some concentration. And just like that, it was the weekend.

Since I was leaving for Rhode Island on Tuesday, I had lots to do on the weekend. But did that stop me from socializing? Nope. After doing a Friends of the Library deposit on Saturday morning, I met Lorri for coffee. It was humid but early enough that we could sit in the shade outside and catch up. I then went home to start cleaning.

I have been doing a crap job of cleaning since my last cleaning lady and I parted ways and I was determined to clean up so I wouldn't come back to a dirty house. That meant the bathroom and floors in addition to the regular chores of neatizing, dishes and laundry. I had a goal to be done by Sunday at noon because Andrea had asked me to help her out organizing her closets and spare room so her brother can stay before moving to California. So I was a machine and did get done by lunch time on Sunday and then was at Andrea's until ~4:00. 

Since everything was done, I actually relaxed that evening, which felt well deserved. All that was left was to put some laundry into a suitcase, which I'd do Monday night after knitting. Despite its shaky start, it had a been a busy and productive week and I'd deal with the car (I still hadn't connected with the adjuster yet, after playing phone and email tag all week) when I got back from Rhode Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment