Monday, August 19, 2019

Week 29 - Back from Oregon

I woke up at the crack of dawn on Monday, clearly on Nebraska time. I puttered inside for a bit and then ventured outside ~6:30 to wander the farm, taking pics and snacking on marionberries, which grow everywhere. I’d been awake for hours before there was any sign of life in the big house but it was totally lovely. After enjoying scrambled eggs and toast, we washed eggs and packed them up for delivery to the farmers’ market. 

Bev and Susan had a fun morning of yarn and thrift shopping planned, which I totally appreciated. Bev is a big thrifter but the yarn was all for me. We hit 2 yarn shops (one lovely, one ho hum) and 2 Goodwills, where I found even more yarn. My one request was In and Out Burger so we went there for lunch. It was a mob scene so we ate in the car – double double animal style. Yum! We hit one last Goodwill and were done at 1:30. Since we were right near the airport, I told them to just drop me early since there was no point in going back home for half an hour and then have to drive back. 

The airport was lovely with free wifi so I camped out in a study carol type thing, streaming and knitting. I was even able to download the rest of the episodes of Traitors, which was a good thing because my flight was delayed. When we took off, it looked like I’d be missing my 2nd flight but that was delayed too so I made it home that night. I didn’t walk into my house until 12:45 so was pretty tired the next day but made it through work and went to bed early. 

I was good as new by Wednesday. It was blazing hot and humid on Wednesday with real temp over 100 and a heat index even higher. I had thawed salsa pork for dinner and was looking forward to that when I got home from swimming. Then I saw Pie. 

Her mouth was stuck open and, as usual, she wouldn’t let me anywhere near her. It didn’t go below 80 all night and I was up several times looking for her. When she was nowhere to be found Thursday morning, I thought she was dead. I headed to work feeling tired and worried. My lunch with Darla helped but Pie was on my mind all day. The good news was that I found her alive when I got home. She still wouldn't let me near her and the heat hadn't let up at all. I was up in the wee hour that night and finally was able to grab her Friday morning and get it shut. I left her inside with wet food mixed with water and she was fine by the time I got home. One of these times I'll learn not to worry about her. Yeah, right. 

 I had been looking forward to a weekend at home to recharge but my friend Lorri had called mid-week to say that her son had committed suicide. He'd been struggling and had tried once before. The memorial service was Saturday morning way down south in Lincoln so that was my Saturday. It would take an hour to get there so I was dressed and on the road by 10:00 and paid my respects. I hit the market afterwards and then headed to Anne's for some knitting time. Unfortunately she keeps her AC at 80 and I was super hot after going in and out of the car so much so didn't stay as long as I would have had it been cooler. My day was shot by the time I got home though so I took it easy in my 76 degree house and went to bed early. 

Sunday was my typical chore day and I had lots of laundry and cooking. Luckily a front came through and the temps dropped. I took advantage of the wet soil to get some weeding done and did get some recovery time in between chores. I was looking forward to a normal week coming up, happy to have my adventures on hiatus for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment