Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Week 41 - Kearney and Home

Another busy week followed by a weekend at home. I should have only had a 2.5 day workweek but that didn't quite work out.

I had done something I've never tried before and scheduled all my October health appointments in the same afternoon. I should have had a mammogram at 1:30 on Tuesday, my physical at 2:00, eye doctor at 5:15 and the dentist Wednesday at 8:00. I was pretty proud of myself. Then when I got home late Monday after a talk at The Sheldon Museum (yes, I skipped knitting in favor of swimming and a talk by 2 photographers who take pics of abandoned things, which ended up being boring, alas...), there was a message on my answering machine saying the doctor wouldn't be in on Tuesday. I left this practice once before because they wouldn't stop calling my home number, which means I get the message when they're closed, but this time they assured me they would see the note saying to call at work. Nope! I saw red because this messed up all my plans. Needless to say, I was pissed off.

I called first thing the next morning and had them remove my home phone from my record. I was able to reschedule the mammo and physical for the following Tuesday so cancelled my afternoon of sick leave and just left 30 minutes early to hit the eye doc. I went home dilated and with all the resulting funkiness but it was a dreary day so that helped. Since I was leaving the next morning for 3 days, I threw some clothes into a bag and went to bed, figuring I had time the next morning to finish up, which I did. I was at the dentist at 8:00, ready for the day and the conference in Kearney.

For the first time, I was going to the Higher Ed User Conference, which is an SAP conference for University of Nebraska and State College users - not end users but administrative office users. I was driving with Anne and staying in her room so there was zero cost for my department beyond the $25 conference fee. I switched parking tags with Cindy so I could leave my car in the garage for the duration and Anne and I headed to water aerobics then hit Arby's for chicken fingers to eat on the road. I was driving so Anne could watch volleyball on her tablet. We got there in under 2 hours with the new 75 mph on I-80.<2 and="" checked="" font="" go.="" hours="" in="" ready="" to="" were="">

I had low expectations for the conference but was pleasantly surprised by how much I learned, even from sessions on one of the things I train on. Of course I was knitting under the table and finished the socks I'd started at last week's conference. 

The highlight of my day Thursday was meeting my old friend Maria, who I hadn't seen in 9 years. She picked me up and we went to a burger restaurant across from my hotel where we talked for hours. It was wonderful to catch up and we parted with promises not to wait solong before we see each other again. We could both drive and hour and meet in the middle so I'm hoping that actually happens.

Our plan for Friday was to skip the last session and leave at 3:30. That would have had me home by 6:00 but right before I left on Wednesday, Cheryl had called with an offer of free symphony tickets so I was meeting Andrea in Lincoln for that. Anne drove back so I could knit (fair is fair) and we were in Lincoln at 5:30. Drae and I used free spaghetti coupons I've been carrying around for years for dinner at Fazolli's, which was actually quite tasty. We got to campus just in time and thoroughly enjoyed the Night at the Opera themed concert, which featured 2 soloists. They sang my favorite aria - The Flower Duet by Delibes. I first heard it in the 80's cult vampire movie The Hunger. Love it! They also did Barber of Seville, which I love from Rabbit of Seville - the best cartoon ever. After a lovely evening, it was great to get home. I unpacked and went to bed.

A whole weekend at home - heaven! I spent some time outside in the 60 degree weather on Saturday doing fall clean up. I changed my flag, cut all the sunflowers down, pruned my crabapple so trick or treaters can walk on the sidewalk and picked all my veggies in anticipation of a hard freeze on Sunday. I knew it was going to snow a bit before the freeze but I wasn't expecting the 3" we got. The odd thing was the snow piled up but the air was above freezing so the impatiens in this picture weren't turning to mush. While the snow flew, I had a lovely day cleaning up the house house, knitting and catching up on TV. 

My house is almost back to good and I have one more weekend at home before my last trip of the month to help my sister after her knee replacement. I am so looking forward to being home for the entire month of November but shouldn't wish away this month. Is anyone singing the Elton John song now? : )

No comments:

Post a Comment