Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Extra: The Colonoscopy Update

I had set multiple alarms for 2:00 a.m. to start drinking the 2nd round of prep but when I woke up at 1:15, I got up and started drinking. Let me tell you, it’s much harder to drink that glop in the wee hours on just a few hours of sleep. I sat at the table, watching Netflix, knitting and trying to down all 32 ounces. I was on the last glass when I started gagging and had to stop. I figured that 30 ounces was enough and was worried I’d puke it all up if I tried to drink more. I went back to bed at 3:00 but woke up twice before the alarm went off at 5:15 for obvious reasons. I hopped in the shower and was ready when Helen picked me up before 6:00. I survived the trip to Lincoln and the procedure went just fine. I was completely doped up when the doctor came in but I got that they’ll be cutting out ~6” of my colon. I’m all tattooed on the inside so they’ll know where to cut. Would you have ever thought I’d have a tattoo? The written report said I had severe diverticulitis and that they’d removed a polyp. Donna picked me up at 8:15 and I was home by 9:00 and in bed within minutes. I didn’t stop to take pills or eat. It was all about sleep. I woke up after 1:00 and felt fine. I happily ate a bowl of cheerios, had tea and cookies at 3:00 and ate dinner before heading to knitting. The doctor’s office had called that afternoon and I had an appointment with the surgeon for Wednesday the September 4th. I was just thrilled that it wasn’t bad enough that I was rushed to the hospital. Expecting the worst does have its benefits. And with a colonoscopy to start the week, it can only get better. How’s that for looking on the bright side? : )

No comments:

Post a Comment