Sunday, January 20, 2013

Week 2 - A Bad End

The week started out normal but didn’t end that way. I guess I was due though.
I was looking forward to getting back to a normal routine but it didn’t go very well. I was literally half way to work, having ignored some symptoms, when I decided that it would not be a good idea to go to work with my abdomen giving me fits. I called Nora from the road and turned around. It ended up being a good decision and I layed low all day, happy to be home. I did make it that night to knitting at the library, bringing the cookies I’d baked on Sunday.

I was back at work, good as new on Tuesday. I had decided to skip swimming for the week, despite desperately wanting to be back in the water, because class was in the lap pool due to a problem with a pump or some such. And since my knee had been feeling great lately, I didn’t want to put it through the ultra shallow water workout so would just wait another week. I hit Joann’s after work on Tuesday and got a big score of sock yarn that was on sale plus I had a coupon for 20% my entire order. I had plenty to share with the knitters.

Darla and I went to Lincoln after work on Wednesday, which was wonderful. It was 2.5 hours long but it went by in the flash. It left me feeling horribly ignorant of American history. I guess that’s easy enough to remedy.

The rest of the week flew by and it was Friday night before I knew it. After stopping at the market, I headed home. I had a little cough starting but was hoping it was nothing. I was going to meet Darla for lunch and Les Mis on Saturday. Well, it was clear when I woke up Saturday that I had something going on. The cough was worse but so far that was it. I actually considered still going but am glad I decided against it because by lunch, a fever and chills had set in. It was bad and came on so suddenly that I was sure I had influenza. After a few hours shivering in bed, I drove myself to the ER, which was my only option on the weekend without driving to Lincoln or Omaha, which I wasn’t up for. Well, I was there for a couple of hours and had a flu test, which came up negative. They gave me 2 days of antibiotics and a prescription for 3 more days worth and sent me on my way.
Sunday was more of the same but by the end of the day, my fever had broken. I was exhausted, achy and still coughing but no longer freezing. I slept on and off all day and found a care package in my side door – orange juice, 7 Up and chicken soup – when I was looking for the newspaper. It ended up being from my neighbor Judith. I called Nora only to find out that Mary and Josh had come down with this same crap and Cheryl had a confirmed case of the flu. I called in for the duration, watched Downton Abbey and went to bed. At least the fever had broken. How was that for looking for something positive?

No comments:

Post a Comment