Friday, May 31, 2024

Week 19 - Rain and Yarn

It was another average week (works for me) but had some yarny fun at the end and my first pedicure in years plus some spring garden work. Weather was its usual crazy this month.

We had another tornado watch with big storms on Monday night so didn't have knitting. I went out to pick violets before the storms in case we got hail. We ended up with another inch of rain to add to the previous week's 4".

On the work front, I had a nice burger lunch with Erica, the new Accounting Director, on Tuesday and thrifted after work. Wednesday was a going away lunch for Janae, the accountant I worked with on the F&A project who is going to stay home with her daughter and help her parents with their farm accounting. It's nice that she can do that. After our lunch, a few of us had signed up for golf cart tours of campus. I was in the 2nd group so we didn't finish until after 5:00 but it was neat to hear all the history about campus. So not much "work" talk in this bit. Work did get done between all this stuff but that's no fun to talk about.

I had a fun knitting week. One of my favorite knitting podcasters dropped a new sock pattern on Wednesday and I immediately bought a copy for myself and gifted one each to Andrea and Lori. We all had the same Halloween mini set so had decided to knit the same socks with the same minis and not share our design until we were done to see how different they were. I loved the pattern immediately and the socks were flying off the needles. I only used 4 of the 6 minis and did wide 4 repeat stripes. Lori started hers right away too but used all 6 colors and made single repeat stripes. Here are my finished socks, which I love. I didn't finish them this week but since I'm so behind on blogging, I have a picture of them finished. The little bit of black yarn is all I had left so I won at yarn chicken. I can't wait to make another pair with scraps.

I had finally made a plan to get to Omaha to buy the yarn for Dottie so took a couple of hours of vacation time on Friday and left for a solo Omaha run. I went to Rotella's bakery and got 2 huge loaves of their bread (one whole wheat and one cranberry) for $2.15. That's worth the trip right there! It was near where I was picking up the yarn. I took all but a couple of skeins that she had, filling my back seat with yarn for Dottie. Then I went to what used to be my favorite thrift store but, alas, it's gotten a bit grubby. I did find some cut glass goblets for Cindy's niece's wedding, which was the 3rd lot of them I found and these were the cheapest yet at .50 each. I went to the Goodwill bins, which are too crazy for me but I found a couple of garden things. After a stop at Trader Joe's for a few things, I headed home. It was a fun afternoon and I had gotten so much yarn.

Saturday was a Fremont run because it was the Estate Dispersal Store weekend. We started at The Restore, where I found all kinds of fun stuff for cheap, but I bought nothing at the EDS. Their prices have gone up so it's easy to leave things on the shelf. We got pedicures between Goodwill and Aldi so Saturday was fun and semi-productive.

Sunday was my usual day of getting things done. The best part was taking down the baker's rack that has been in front of my slider all winter and putting all my overwintered plants outside. I love having them inside over the winter but am always happy to put them out again come spring. The cleanup takes awhile with removing the plant stands then sweeping and washing the floors but it was time well spent. Spring will get here eventually, with more rain I'm sure. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment