Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Week 41 - Kittens Got Spayed

The focus of the week was the kittens being spayed on Thursday. Since Gansey was spayed before I got her, I hadn't gone through spaying since Tot 12 or more years ago and had no memory of the details so was a touch worried, of course.

I worked on campus Tuesday (pretty much alone in the office) but went to lunch with Darla at Noodles, which was a treat - both the company and the food. Finding a praying mantis and spider in my car afterwards was not so fun but is what I get for hauling yard waste in my car. I hit Aldi on the way home for my stuff and Andrea's (she'd given me a full list) and just had time to put my groceries away before a Gro Big Red zoom event on fall gardening at 7:00. Talk about a full day!

Wednesday was our anchor day when everyone comes in so working in the office meant seeing people, going for coffee, having lunch with Dodie and a work event at The Scarlet Hotel after work. We were celebrating a belated welcome Erica (the new accounting director) and goodbye to Allan, our computer tech who was going to Athletics. It was a lovely time on their rooftop deck and I left in just enough time to get home for Survivor.

The girls were going in first thing Thursday so no food for any of the cats from bedtime Wednesday. I was waiting at the vet for them to open at 8:00 and then kept busy all day, which was easy because it was Foundation reports day. I called at 2:00 and they were doing fine. It was going to be a quiet evening without them but at least I wouldn't be worrying. Right before bed, Tot brought in a mouse and promptly dropped it in the front room. It disappeared and I had no choice but to go to bed with it loose somewhere in my house. : (

I woke up to find Tot parked in front of the linen closet so I jammed a towel under that door to keep the mouse in and sat down to breakfast. Shortly thereafter, Tot brought in another mouse! I was able to corner it in the kitchen so grabbed the dish towel and took it outside. Then I emptied the floor of the linen closet and got that one outside too. I shut the slider with Tot outside - done with the mice thing! I got dressed and was at the vet when they opened to pick up the girls. Goodie was cranky and hissing at her sister but they settled down pretty quickly and slept the day away. They were still dumpy but beginning to perk up by the end of the day. 

My plan was to stay close to home for the weekend to keep my eye on the kittens. I did run to the farm store for some birdseed but otherwise hunkered down. It was a rainy, cool weekend so I made homemade baked beans, which had the oven on for hours. Other than that, it was chores, streaming and knitting while giving some extra love to the kittens. I also found a bunch of squash in my neighbor's yard where the vine had grown through the fence. They are even bigger than the ones I found on my side of the fence. Anyone local need squash? : )

It was a lovely weekend to end the busy week. With the kittens vaccinated and spayed, next step will be letting them outside and getting them used to that before it gets too cold out. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment