Monday, November 6, 2023

Week 42 - Bad Work Week

Am I getting old, out of shape and overweight or just completely sick of work? Not sure but I'm finding it takes all of my energy to get through the work week and all I want to do is crash all weekend. Anyone with me on this?

It didn't help that I started the week with a campus day. While I don't like doing 2 days in a row, with Wednesday being our anchor day (everyone's in the office), not doing 2 days in a row means working a Monday or Friday on campus, neither of which appeals. Yup, might just be sick of work. 

The reason to be in on Monday was a free lunch in the dorms for staff appreciation so the whole team went for lunch. It was a perfect fall day so a nice walk. I left work a few minutes early to mail a HUGE box of acrylic yarn to my sister but there was someone at UPS trying to mail a package to Africa without a full address. I was held up so long there that supper was a banana in the car on the way to knitting. To end the night, Hazel peed on bed. Right in front of me, I think taking exception to the boxes which I'd neglected to change on the weekend. I ran out to get litter just before the stores closed, changed the boxes, remade my bed and was so keyed up that I had to take Benadryl at 11:00 because I couldn't sleep. Not an auspicious start to the week.

Thankfully, Tuesday was a quieter day. I had all the bedding to wash and hang out, worked on grad allocations all afternoon and had chicken parm for supper before heading to the library for a board meeting.

Wednesday was campus again and absolutely crazy busy. I had a long zoom in the morning to start the huge F&A process, had a meeting with the Vice Chancellor about Husker Cats, which went long do I didn't get a lunch break. I had my car loaded up with stuff to drop off all over town and was dreading doing it during 5:00 traffic but told myself to buck up and do it. After dropping everything off, I hit Aldi. The icing on the cake? I got a speeding ticket on the way home. I was on a paved road north of Lincoln that's my shortcut to get to the highway when I leave Aldi, came over a hill and there was a cop. Total speed trap since it's farm land with no houses. $124 or STOP class. DAMN! Thursday had to be better, right?

Nope. I got an email first thing and realized I'd completely screwed something up at work. It required lots of work for several people and had me slamming until 2:00. I felt bad for causing so much extra work for others and was pretty upset with myself for a stupid mistake. I had a Ripples zoom at 2:00 and just barely made it. I calmed down over the course of that hour. I made a yummy supper of steak and mashed potatoes then ended the day taking Goodie outside for the first time. I stayed out with her for 30 minutes or so and she did well, not venturing very far from the deck. At least the day ended well.

Friday was some better, with a couple of frustrating computer problems in the morning but I dug in on F&A data in the afternoon so it flew. I took both Goodie and Hazel out after work then had a nice supper before settling in for good Friday TV (I'm watching several things that have new episodes on Fridays.) It was the weekend at last. Good riddance to the work week.

Saturday was out spinning retreat at Camp Fontanelle, which is about 40 miles north of Wahoo. It was a gorgeous day and with all meals included, I was on the road at 7:00 and eating breakfast at 8:00. I did the morning class, which was making a pin from zippers and felted wool. I did not participate in the afternoon fiber blending class so sat outside in the sun knitting socks. I did duck out for a Fremont run for Aldi and a huge free frapuccino from Starbuck's. That meant I could head directly home after supper, which was nice. It was a lovely day and I was home by 7:00.

After a LONG week, I was ready to crash on Sunday. I talked to my sister (Dottie not Ginny!) and Deanne in the morning then made a to do list. I had a lovely day interspersing chores between streaming and knitting, ending with some cooking. I made an apple pie to take to knitting then a small quiche from the leftover dough with broccoli on the side. There may have been some wine with dinner and then it was PBS and knitting all night. 

The weekend went a long way towards offsetting my icky work week. I had the door open on Sunday and the kittens were in and out all day long. I checked on them many, many times but they were always somewhere in the backyard and always came when I called them. They're good girls and continue to bring me joy. Despite my less than stellar week, I can still say life is good! Hopefully next week will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment