Monday, October 30, 2023

Week 38 - Sioux Falls Fiasco

What a week! Not only was it blazing hot but I had drama galore. Sheesh!

I started the week waiting for an email from the feds saying I was approved for Global Entry and could schedule an interview. Anne was scheduled in Sioux Falls on Tuesday and was hoping I could go along with her and her friend, Beth. I kept refreshing my gmail account - nothing. When I finally logged onto the Global Entry website, it said I was ready for an interview. Of course, by the time I did that (I never did get an email, btw) there were no Sioux Falls appointments left on Tuesday. After scheduling for Wednesday evening in Des Moines, I decided Wednesday during the day would be better for driving so I rescheduled to then and would be driving alone.

I was supposed to meet Connie in Sioux Falls on the weekend at the end of her business trip but I called her to see when she'd be arriving. It worked out because my appointment was at 11:45 and she'd be arriving around 3:00. We could hang out Wednesday night instead of on the weekend. Yay! I could easily kill a few hours (local yarn shop!) so was feeling better about missing driving with Anne. I put in vacation time for all day Wednesday and Thursday morning and called it good.

I was on the road first thing Wednesday and had Siri giving me directions. But as I reached Sioux Falls, Siri went silent. I'd looked at a map (old school, I know) before heading out so took the exit I thought was right. Well, it was one exit too soon and I had only gone a few blocks when I stopped because someone in front of me was turning left. The man behind me did not stop and rear ended the hell out of my car. OMG! I had a number for Customs in Sioux Falls so called them to say I wasn't going to make my appointment. It wasn't the right office but he said he'd call the Global Entry people and let them know, telling me to head there as soon as I could. 

The guy who hit me took total responsibility for it - I only looked down for a second! - when the cop finally arrived. I headed to the airport 30 minutes later with an accident report in hand. When I walked into the bougie private terminal where they do the interviews, they knew all about me and were super concerned. They took me right away despite there being people already waiting and really didn't interview me at all, just saying the required blurb and taking my fingerprints. From there I went to the Honda dealership for them to check my car out (drivable, which the tow truck driver who towed the other guy's totaled car had thought too) and got a Starbuck's. I didn't have enough time for yarn shopping so went right to Connie's hotel, where I knitted in the parking lot for a half hour until she arrived.

Connie had a working meeting at 5:00 but was otherwise free so we headed downtown for a late lunch. When we got back, the woman she was meant to work with said she was in the lobby and had already started so we sat at a table in the lobby. Connie worked and I knitted. When we were done, we went to the bar in the hotel for a drink. We were still there at 10:00! As people from her work arrived, they joined us so I got to meet all her co-workers (who had all heard lots about me apparently) and a wonderful woman from their board who was super interesting. It was a fun night. For the record, I only had 1 Guinness in all that time. Totally missed opportunity, I know.

I didn't sleep well at all but we got up for breakfast early because Connie had to be at an event at 8:30. I was on the road by 8:00 and it started pouring rain as soon as I hit the highway. It was torrential and so was a white knuckle drive for the first bit but it let up when I got to Sioux City. I had hit a big detour on the way up so was taking a different route home, which took me down I-29 in Iowa. I'd scoped out a yarn shop in Sergeant Bluffs and was there at opening time. I was ready to buy some pity yarn, feeling sorry for myself after being rear ended. I found some lovely yarn and the owner was fun and had great style. I even took pictures of the furniture in her bathroom. It was a nice interlude and I was back on the road. It took longer to get home that way so I drove through Pizza Hut and got home just in time to login for work at 1:00. I was tired but had my interview done, had spent time with Connie and had some new yarn. All that helped with the whole accident thing

I hadn't planned to go to campus on Friday but when I called the body shop, they had time to do an estimate so I drove to Lincoln at lunch, got the estimate and worked in the office that afternoon. I then hit two regular markets on the way home, which is a nice change from Aldi. I headed home fully stocked and ready for a relaxing weekend at home.


And that's what I had. I didn't leave the house all weekend and even found time on Sunday afternoon to tinker with my sock machine. I cranked two sock tubes that are ridiculously loose but I was happy with my first try. After the week I'd had, I needed some happy. Now to get the insurance sorted and the car fixed. Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment