Sunday, September 17, 2023

Week 33 - Zero Beach Weather

We had made very few plans for the week with only a beach day with friends for Wednesday. It was going to be a relaxing week and we were both happy with that.

It was cloudy Monday morning so I happily knitted outside while John went for a bike ride. He brought back pastries which I had with tea and we had pork chops and cuke salad for supper. It was a nice first day.

Our Tuesday plan was to head to Newport to pick up John's beach chair, which his aunt was storing. It was nice to see Jean and I bummed some flour with a dash of cinnamon so I could make a pie for our dinner with friends on Wednesday. Only when I was buying the blueberries and pie crust did I realize we didn't have a pie pan (the kitchen was sparsely provisioned in both staples and pans) so we went back to Jean's to borrow a pie plate. We had a nice lunch at a bar called Pour Judgment, drove Ocean Drive and then stopped for sweet corn on the way home. We skipped supper in favor of snacks while streaming and I made the pie, which looked great.

The weather betrayed us on Wednesday. What had been forecast to be a perfect beach day was cloudy and cold. My sister was supposed to meet us at the beach with some of her husband's family but that didn't happen. Deanne was still coming down so we ended up buying tickets to Barbie, which was wonderful. The sun was out when we got out of the theatre so we went to Shepherd's Run - the event center in an old mansion where Aaron (Carolyn's son) works. He was off that day but we enjoyed wine on the patio before heading back to the cottage.

John's friends from high school were coming for dinner. This was the 3rd year for this Kate, Nancy and Deanne dinner (Covid made that impossible the first year) and we had a lovely time. We had chicken kebabs, rice, grilled eggplant I'd brought from my garden, Mexican street corn and my pie with ice cream. It was all wonderful. I had a lot of alcohol over the course of the day and I don't know if that was the problem but I struggled to fall asleep that night.

We woke up to fog and chilly air on Thursday so were just hanging out when our friend Bob called. He asked if we were free that afternoon and came down with his daughter, Daisy. Cornelia was coming for dinner and we didn't want a teenager to cramp our style so Bob didn't stay for supper, which was swordfish. Yum. And it's always fabulous hanging with Cornelia so it was a lovely evening, even if we needed a sweatshirt after the sun went down.

We had one more day left and the crappy weather continued. We woke up to a storm on Friday morning so were stuck inside while it poured. We went to Aunt Carrie's for lunch of clamcakes and chowder, which was yummy. I got a piece of coconut custard pie (a RI specialty) and we headed back. The sun had come out but it was super windy. After an afternoon of knitting in the wind, I made a mish mash dinner with all the leftovers in the fridge. It was the only night that I cooked. Princess Merry. John is a great cook.

We packed up Saturday morning from our beach week where I never so much as touched sand nor put a toe in salt water. We were out at 11:00 and after a stop at John's uncles to return some chairs we'd borrowed, John dropped me at Carolyn's and headed off. We had spinach pies for lunch and I chatted with Carolyn, who was still recovering from her ankle surgery so hadn't come down to the beach (and why bother with the weather we had?). Deanne picked me up later that afternoon and we went to Al Forno for an amazing dinner then home where we started watching Lioness on Paramount+. It's very good if you haven't seen it.

Of course Sunday was perfect beach weather. Sheesh! We had made plans with a friend from high school so walked on Blackstone Blvd then got lunch to go from a cafe nearby. Deanne and I went back to her apartment and spent the afternoon at the pool. It was a nice, relaxing afternoon and then Dee made shrimp spring rolls from scratch, which were delish.

What a week! 5 days at the beach without a bit of beach weather but still relaxing and perfectly pleasant. Lots of time with friends and plenty of knitting time. And since Deanne knows who bought our old cottage, we got in touch and there's a chance we can rent next summer. If not, we'll do the tiny house again but will make sure to bring a double size blow up mattress. We can't possibly have the bad weather we had this year again, right? I live in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment