Sunday, August 27, 2023

Week 30 - Yarn and Ribbons

The week started with a big rain storm at 4:30 Monday morning (yes, I had more water in the basement but not as much as last time) and it went downhill from there. By the end of the week the actual temp was hovering around 100 with the feels like temp of 113 on Friday. Have a mentioned how much I hate summer in Nebraska? But there were some high points despite the weather. 

I dropped my fair entries off before knitting on Monday. I had the colorwork hat, 4 pairs of socks (there's a limit of 5 small knitted things) and a sewn project bag to fill the 6th tag on the entry form. I went to check ribbons right after work on Tuesday and I'd missed best in county by 1, getting reserve best of county. Bummer but I'll keep trying and have already decided on my show stopper for next year.

I was on campus Wednesday as usual and did my regular thrifting at lunch. There's a shop I rarely go to because they rarely have yarn. It's called Cause for Paws and, you guessed it, benefits animal charities, which is close to my heart. I was driving by and pulled in on a whim and totally scored tons of good quality yarn. They had a a huge basket up front loaded with yarn and I went through every skein. I got hundreds of dollars of yarn for on $1.99/skein. Score! And when I got home, the box of sock yarn that I'd bought from Facebook Marketplace was there so it was a crazy yarn day, which is the best kind of day. The picture is of the unlabeled sock yarn, which I bleach tested to make sure they had nylon, which they all did. Oh the socks I will knit!

I got a fiscal year end reprieve so didn't have to work on campus on Thursday. I had planned to go to a movie after work with Tammie but cancelled that, which ended up being a good thing because Tammie spent the afternoon at the dentist and was under the weather from that. I was busy all day prepping reports for closing meetings and spent the entire evening stashing my yarn on Ravelry, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

After a frustrating Friday that started with my internet being down (Windstream fixed it when I called) and continued with computer problems on and off all day, I ended the day with a zoom call that went until 5:30 and then I had to work until 6:00 to follow up from the zoom. There was definitely a beer when I was finally done.

Saturday was a total veg day and other than talking to Carolyn, I did nothing but hole up inside. We did get some rain and the temp dropped to the mid 80's so that was a treat. I was perusing Facebook Marketplace and found a bunch of acrylic yarn for my sister that was cheap and in Omaha. I messaged the woman, who ended up living right near my friend Lori so I called and invited myself to her house to knit on her patio. Sunday was all set before bedtime.

After my favorite CBS Sunday Morning and some knitting, I headed to the fairgrounds to pick up my entries. I went through the BK drive thru and ate on my way to Omaha. The woman sold me a ginormous tote of yarn and 2 big garbage bags so my backseat was jammed full. I then went to Lori's and we went through the yarn quickly before sitting down to knit. She took some bright skeins for the neighbor girls she'd taught to knit. We had a lovely afternoon on her back patio, watching storm clouds pile up to the west as we knitted. I drove through torrential rain on the way home but it didn't last long.

So what a fun, yarn filled week! The first week of closing meetings always flies by and since this is my 21st fiscal year end, it's not as stressful as in early years. Since I only have one more year end before I retire, I did some extra documenting. And the rain was a nice bonus. By end of the week, we were no longer in extreme drought but only severe. Hopefully the rain will keep coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment