Sunday, January 8, 2023

Week 52 - Chill Before Christmas

It was Christmas week with all that entails but there were 4 works day yet and a cold blast to get through beforehand. Brutal cold that had everyone scrambling, myself included.

First thing Monday, I cleared my desk and made a list of all the outstanding projects to do before break, which felt like a good place to start. It wasn't a huge list and with campus already deserted, I hoped it would last the week. I got a grab and go for lunch and made raisin bars to take to knitting, which ended up being cancelled when Andrea and I were the only 2 going so we decided to stay home.

With brutal cold forecast for later in the week, I ran errands at lunch on Tuesday with the intention of not leaving the house again until Christmas Day. I dropped some donations, bought kitty litter and changed the boxes, and then did everything I'd need to outside - trash, recycling and compost. It was going to be cold on Wednesday but nothing compared to Thursday. By the end of the day Wednesday, UNL had announced that campus would be closed on Thursday, our last day before break, but anyone who could work remotely was expected to work. That felt like punishment but what can you do? At least we only had to work until 2:00.

The high temperature on Thursday was -6 and the wind chill made it feel like -40. It was so cold that the cats wouldn't even go out but the sun was out so I sat at my computer all morning, warm and toasty. At least we only got an inch of snow, unlike east of us. At 2:00, I hung up from my last zoom and shut my laptop. After a nice cup of tea, I finished my wrapping, went though all my knitting to sort what I'd work on over break, talked to Lori and had a nice dinner. The worst day of the cold snap was over and I was free as a bird for the next 11 days. Yay! 

It was slightly warmer on Friday with a high of 7. At least it was above zero. I had a totally relaxing day, which was a nice way to start break. I had everything I needed for the Christmas lasagna so had no plan to leave the house but on Saturday I decided I had to make my cousin's apricot jello mold so had to go to the market for lemon jello. Since I was going out, I got Chinese food, which I'd been craving, for lunch. I spent the afternoon cooking - lasagna, puppy chow (aka muddy buddies) and the jello mold. I was ready for Christmas and in an unusual mode for me, I did all the dishes before I went to bed.

Christmas morning meant stockings and I had a great time opening all 3 - from Carolyn and my sisters. Dottie's box was heavy because it was full of vintage fabric below the gifts. Then it was time to head to Anne's, decked out in my newest Christmas socks. I got there at noon and put the lasagna in to bake. Rene joined us and we had a nice lunch of lasagna, salad and garlic bread followed by Anne's Christmas cookies and the jello mold, which was a hit. We had a fire going and watched a movie while eating the puppy chow. I cannot resist it so ate way too much until Anne moved it out of my reach. Oh well, it's Christmas, right? Anne gave me a can of the totally sold out limited edition Figgy Pudding Spam, which she paid way too much for on Amazon. Love it! I haven't opened it yet and will have to find just the right occasion.

So it was my 3rd Christmas not in Rhode Island but it was another nice one at Anne's. I had another 8 days of break and had every intention of enjoying every minute of it. I had a few things on my to do list but nothing too onerous. I hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment