Sunday, January 22, 2023

Week 2 - Practicing my Wintering

It was a good week for my first full week of the new year. The weather started out warm - 50 degrees on Monday! - and my diet went well.

Work was busy with meetings, finishing some reports that have been in draft for months, doing monthly Foundation reporting and starting data for the space survey. One wrinkle was finding out that our building had no water when we got to work on Wednesday. They had thought it would be a quick fix but the water was out all day, which meant going to another building to use the bathroom and to get water for tea. I did drop Dodie's Christmas present on one of my pee runs but worked through lunch and left early, stopping at HyVee for a rotisserie chicken on the way home. I give myself points for not eating it until I got home because I was pretty darn hungry after 3 600 calorie days and it smelled great. By the way, the water wasn't fixed until late Friday.

After 25 years of working at UNL, I'm at maximum vacation balance for the very first time. This meant I had to take 6 hours of vacation in January in order to get the full accrual at the end of the month. I started by taking 2 hours on Friday for an early Fremont run with Andrea. It was the Estate Dispersal Store weekend so we added that to our usual route and ended with sushi for supper at Ninja. It was delish. My last stop was to get some magnesium to help with my toe cramps. We failed at our first because my card Walgreen's card had gone inactive from lack of use and there was a big line so we just left, succeeding at Dollar General down the street. Sheesh! With all my errands done, I was ready for a weekend of wintering.




I'd seen a meme on Facebook explaining wintering as hunkering down and staying cozy. Count me in! After chatting with Carolyn and Deanne, I spent the rest of the day Saturday knitting in the sun and streaming The Recruit, which is worth watching. I was working on some complicated socks that had been on the needles for years in hopes of finishing them at last. I was also working on a fun project - temperature socks. I chose 12 colors of sock yarn - 1 for below zero, 1 for each 10 degrees up to 100 and another for over 100. I knit 4 rows of the color that corresponds to the previous day's high temperature and at the end of the year, I'll have 12 socks. I'm using the same yarn for cuffs, heels and toes on all of them. Here is my yarn and the start of my first sock. This is going to be fun.

I didn't do much more on Sunday but did do some cooking, having started my 1200 week after losing 10 pounds the first week. Nice. I made chicken salad and carrot salad plus put the bones in the crockpot to make broth. Monday was MLK Day and Darla was coming over so we'd have plenty of healthy food to choose from.

I can see more wintering weekends in my future and that works for me. I hope you're enjoying some cozy home time and are finding something good to stream.


No comments:

Post a Comment