Sunday, October 23, 2022

Week 40 - Goodbye Death Pile

Am I the only one with a death pile? What I mean by that is a stack of paperwork and such that is long overdue for dealing with yet sits untouched. Well I had a doozie of a death pile, that was a mix of current stuff and ancient. And now it's ALL DONE.

There were some big deal items in there - the Honda rebate for my bum transmission in spring 2021 that I'd never submitted and a year's worth of medical bills to get reimbursed for from my flex account. Dealing with both of those meant $3k more in my checking account. But there were also lots of little things including a URI sticker I'd had since 1994 that is now on my car window and a couple of articles I'd clipped when I still living in RI (I've been in Nebraska since 1996) that I sent to a friend. Those are just examples but there was lots more. I plugged away at the pile and when I mailed a package at lunch on Friday, it was officially done. It was a huge relief and a load off my mind. Yes, I know I am an idiot for letting that stuff wait so long. Oh well.

The week started with skipping knitting on Monday to go to a tax meeting at the school, which was prompted by the fact that my house taxes will be 40% higher this year based on a higher valuation and a tax hike. Well it was a complete waste of time because the budgets that caused the increase were already submitted and the various presenters didn't answer any questions so it was just taxpayers complaining to people who offered nothing. I feel bad for the people who will be hurting because of the higher taxes, which is the last thing anyone needs in this economy.

But the week got better from there. Before tackling the death pile, I had a nice time at work on Wednesday at the all employee picnic after the service awards. The weather was gorgeous and I saw all kinds of people I hadn't seen in ages. After work, I went to Cindy's to teach her husband to knit, which he took to immediately. I hung out with Cindy and had a nice supper and chat after Dave left for choir. 

I spent the weekend slogging through my bedroom. I had baskets of clothes that had been on a chair since I washed them a the beginning of lockdown. Yes, 2.5 years ago. I went through the basket, most of my drawers and the closet, ending up with 2 bags of clothes for friends and 2 big bags of donations. I dropped those off in the Peoples City Mission drop box on the way to Colon (yes, that's the name of a town in my county) on Sunday for takeout of their annual roast beef dinner. I spent the afternoon finishing up chores and then knitting this cute candy corn hat that will go in my donation pile.

So all in all, it was a banner week for getting rid of stuff and getting things done. One of my mottos in life is "Gone is Good" and this week was filled with that. I need a few more of these spurts of energy to finishing sorting through the rest of the house. 2 rooms done and 2 to go. Upstairs that is. I'm saving the spare bedroom for Thanksgiving break so next up will be the family room. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment