Thursday, July 28, 2022

Week 28 - A Bad Week

A holiday to start the week is always good and I spent the 4th still in my back room, concentrating on my desk. It's more than 100 years old and was my dad's. It was in the first school he taught in in the early 1960's and was old then. They were closing the school and getting rid of everything so he took it home. It is oak and super heavy but I moved it and cleaned underneath it (disgusting) and then went through all the drawers, ending with a huge bag of excess office supplies to donate. I felt good about how I spent my blazing hot 4th of July. Independence from crap!

The end of the week put a damper on my good mood after all that progress. We had torrential rain on Wednesday, which we needed but I had water in my basement. Ugh. Then I had a talk on Thursday with my boss and asked him why I had had to make a list of what I was working on, which had been niggling at me for a couple of weeks. Come to find out, someone suggested that I might not be working very hard when I was working from home. WTF! I was livid and totally dejected. As if I could be a slacker! Guilt would eat me alive and the person who cast this aspersion should have know better. This sent me into a tailspin and later that same night someone who has been involved with Husker Cats for ~20 minutes accused me of not caring for the campus cats. That lead to phone calls and emails while I tried to figure out how to talk this person out of stopping feeding on her days. Seriously! I did not need this.

Friday was even worse. I woke up to an email from the other moderator of my sock group saying I'd messed up the tally. She'd spent a bunch of time fixing what I could have done in 2 minutes but she's in Germany so was ahead of me and needed to get it done. Then I heard that my cousin Ronnie had died. She had been in the hospital in Boston and wasn't expected to live but it was still a blow. Then later that night (much later - 11:00 p.m), I had to say goodbye to my neighbors of 17 years who were moving to Illinois. There were tears. It had been a miserable couple of days but I crawled into bed sure that it had to get better.


The weekend did wonders for my mood. I got outside on Saturday, digging up some plants that Judith said I could have and since I was planting the lilies in my front bed, I moved the hostas that were in too much sun. I'd have to keep them well watered since I moved them in the blazing heat of summer but that wouldn't be a problem. Despite the heat, I spent some time puttering in my yard and taking pics. I love this one. I makes me happy to see polinators on my native coneflowers. I should plant more natives. 

On the inside front, I tackled the last of my back room project - a big box of junk, mostly knitting notions, that had accumulated over the course of the last few clear outs. I started it Saturday evening and finished it up Sunday afternoon. When I was done, I headed to Lincoln to swim, which is always a lovely way to end the weekend.

All in all, the weekend was the perfect mix of productivity, knitting and chatting with friends. They helped me realize I should put no stock in one person's opinion because I know it's not true and so does my boss. I would try to put it behind me and go into the new week with a better outlook. We'll see how that goes. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment