Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Week 7 - Kansas City Trip

Travel, friends, more birthday treats, crocheting (!) - this week had it all. It's no wonder I needed the weekend to recharge.

The week started with the mundane. I mailed a box of yarn to my sister, took the rest of my birthday cake to knitting, took advantage of the wind and 60 degree weather to hang my laundry out (my dryer is still dead and I've done nothing to get it fixed) and managed to run 4 errands in 15 minutes over lunch on Tuesday. Gotta love small town living! But Wednesday was the banner day.

Rene and I had tickets to see the Auschwitz exhibit in Kansas City. Since it's 3 hours south of Lincoln, we were getting an early start. But you know me - if I'm going to Lincoln I'm going to maximize my day so I scheduled breakfast with Darla for her birthday. Since I had to leave the house at 6:30, I did all my prep the night before and was only a few minutes late to our favorite Cook's Cafe. What a nice start to the day. Then I went to Rene's and we headed south. Rene used to live in KC so she was driving, which meant I could knit. Nice.

Our tickets were for 1:00 so we got barbeque for lunch beforehand and Rene treated me for my birthday. That's day 10 of celebrating. Lucky me! Auschwitz was really well done and it took 3 hours to go through. I was pensive when we left but we drove to a yarn shop and that improved my mood. And yes, I bought sock yarn. Oops. Then it was Ikea time. The shelves were half empty but it was still fun and I found some stocking stuffers for Christmas 2022. After driving thru at Arby's, we headed back home. It was a good, if sobering, day and I got home at 11:45. So long too but it felt SO good to be out and about.

For only being gone one day, it took me most of the morning on Thursday to catch up. The afternoon didn't go well (enough said) but my fabulous friends came through, as always. I ended the work week helping Cindy with some training stuff and I was ready for the weekend.

I have been on a mission lately - slogging through stuff and cleaning like my house hasn't been cleaned since pre-covid when I had a cleaning lady. My goal is to have the house clean and organized before garden season. The front room is done and all that needs doing in my bedroom is dusting so I felt OK taking the weekend off. I still did chores on Saturday and did a bunch of cooking on Sunday but otherwise I spent the weekend crocheting. 

Yes, I said that. I've been making some progress on my WIPs (works in progress) too so pulled out a granny stripe afghan that I thought I'd be ripping it out because the cast on edge was tight. But when I took it out, I decided the cast on was fine and so started working on it again and I couldn't stop. I was originally using mini skeins but dug through my stash to find bigger skeins so I could have bigger stripes. I found one of my fave shows ever on Hulu - Lie to Me - so watched that and crocheted away. It felt great to relax and the afghan brought me joy. It's fingering weight yarn (thin) so will take a long time but the hook in the pic shows where it was when I started so I doubled what I had done. Yay!

So it was a good week with KC being the high point. I'm hoping this will be the beginning of getting out and about more. The covid cases are dropping in Nebraska, right on schedule at 2 weeks behind the coasts. I live in hope that it will keep going in this direction and that we can get back to some sense of normal. Time to plan my next mini trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment