Sunday, October 17, 2021

Week 42 - Helen's Birthday Fun

Despite the gorgeous fall weather finally arriving, it was not an easy week. In addition to yet more training at work (4 sessions), I was stewing on something that kept me up a few nights. The absolute highlight of the week was an afternoon with Helen to celebrate her birthday.

I took Thursday afternoon off and Helen and I spent the afternoon in Omaha. We started at The Cheesecake Factory because Cake! Our table was well separated from anyone else and we talked and talked, far past when we had finished eating. The waitress was lovely and Helen made a point of telling the manager as we left, which was nice of her. After a stop at Trader Joe's, we went to a yarn shop. The best one in Omaha was closed for the day but we made do with another and both found some yarn to buy. With Starbuck's in hand, we drove back to my house for more chatting while Helen opened her presents. It was a lovely day and we need to make the effort to get together more often but life always seems to get in the way.

I was perseverating on something that had me still awake at 1:00 a.m. on Saturday morning. I had already turned the light on and read a couple of times and finally got up and took a benadryl. I got up to let Tot out at 6:30 but it was so chilly in the house that I went back to my cozy bed and slept until 9:30! I then spent the morning on the phone, first with Carolyn who helped me think through what was bothering me, then Deanne, Lori and Dottie. It was 1:00 before I got dressed and I can't say I did much more that day. Oh well.

With my mind at ease, I fell asleep quickly on Saturday night but I woke up hot at 4:00 and never fell back asleep so got up at 5:00 and made an omelet for breakfast. It was a long wait for the sun and there was no CBS Sunday Morning so I called Ginny early and then headed to Omaha to Lori's. We were going to have lunch and knit on her patio. We had a lovely time, joined by one of the neighborhood girls she had recently taught to knit. Lori needed to leave for yoga at 3:00 so I dropped donations at Goodwill then grocery shopped. It was another nice afternoon, which I needed badly.

So I ended the week with my mind more at ease and looking forward to enjoying the fall weather. Here's a happy autumn picture from my deck. The bright woodbine is a volunteer that I think I'll let grow for its lovely fall color. But more important is the English ivy that has finally taken off. This was my third attempt to transplant ivy from the house I grew up in in Rhode Island, which originally came from my dad's parent's house in Providence. I had planted some when I first bought my house but ChemLawn came to the wrong house and killed it with what they sprayed. I'd tried again a few years later but it didn't survive. Third time lucky! I think this is the 4th year from when I planted it and it's finally thriving, which makes me happy. I'll take it. Now to see if I can encourage it to grow on the railings instead of across the floor. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment