Sunday, October 10, 2021

Week 41 - Campus and Covid

After a super productive weekend, I was ready for a good week ahead. Hmmm....

I should have been suspicious when one of the regular, as in comes every week, knitters didn't show up on Monday. I'd seen her on Saturday and she hadn't mentioned anything and when I called her from the library she didn't answer. I emailed later and she responded Tuesday morning to say she had woken up with a cold and didn't want to share germs. OK. After teaching a rare morning class, I had lunch in the park with Lorri at lunch and didn't give it much thought.

I was working a full day on campus on Wednesday, not because I needed to but because I had errands to run. I had made plans to eat lunch on a bench with Dodie and somehow offered to bring my regular grab and go from Mocha C's for both of us. So not only did I have to set an alarm, get dressed, make up my thermos and be out the door by 7:15 but now I had to pick up lunch, which I ordered at 7:00 when they opened and picked up before heading to Lincoln. I was at the Library Commission just before opening (had to knock on the door) to drop the book club books and was at my desk just after 8:00. Not bad.

I have to say that despite enjoying lunch with Dodie and going to the Union Starbuck's with Lana that afternoon, absolutely nothing made it worth the effort of going to Lincoln to work. I'm expected to go back every Wednesday as soon as our new office is ready - probably early November. I am NOT looking forward to it at all but guess I will have to suck it up and cope. Oh well..

I trained on Thursday afternoon (my 4th class in 2 weeks - where are all these new employees coming from?) and it was over capacity but I was hoping to get out early enough to head to Fremont to get a Covid booster. I did get out on time, registered online and headed north. I picked up a few groceries, got my shot and used the $10 gift card (totally unnecessary considering it's my 3rd shot so I didn't need the bribe) toward my groceries. I was feeling pretty good and hoping for no side effects but it I had them, it would be on sick time on Friday. Ha!

I heard from my friend on Friday that it wasn't a cold but rather Covid AND SHE HAD BEEN IN MY HOUSE ON SATURDAY!!!!! I looked it up and the 48 hours before symptom onset is when someone's most contagious, which is when she was in my house. I started freaking out, not for myself but worried that if I had an asymptomatic breakthrough case, I might have passed it on to my 80+ year old friend I'd had lunch with on Tuesday. Or my younger but just as dear to me friend who I had lunch with on Wednesday. I called my doctor's office to find out where I could get tested, put in sick leave and drove to Lincoln, where I got a test in a tent behind the mall. I drove through Panera for my favorite salad (had to get something good out of my 3rd trip out of town in as many days) and went home to wait for results.

I had no plans for the weekend so hunkered down and did a tiny bit of cleaning and lots of cooking. I made bread pudding, banana bread and roasted tomatoes from Connie's garden to make red sauce, which was a first for me since I never get enough tomatoes from my garden. Somewhere in the middle of all this, I got my results - Negative! I was so relieved. Even as vaccinated as I can possibly be, I'm still scared of Covid. I drove some of my cooking over to my Covid cootie friend, dropping them at her door and running.

Now I was free to leave the house but did I? Nope. I spent Sunday morning on the phone, did some chores and started cooking again. This time was egg roll in a bowl, an apple pie using mostly the apples Nan had given me from her friend's tree (mystery variety) to take to knitting and a small quiche with the extra pie dough. I had to stretch a single crust recipe to get the extra crust for quiche because I was out of flour. And when I called my friend Lorri to ask when she was going to CostCo again (she gets me the 12.5 pound bag of King Arthur unbleached a couple of times a year), she told me that she had gone to the mall in Lincoln a few hours before me on Friday getting a Covid test herself (nothing to do with lunch with me) and she was negative too. Happiness all around.

So it was not as relaxing and normal week as I'd hoped for but I made it through and there's another week coming. I have high hopes for this one. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment