Sunday, October 10, 2021

Week 40 - Driving and Home

 I was up and out the door before 7:00 on Monday and despite gas in the Black Hills being 50 cents more per gallon than farther east, I filled up in Sturgis and headed out. After getting past Rapid City, it was clear sailing and a completely deserted highway. I stopped at every single rest stop to pee but otherwise didn't stop until Mitchell, which is halfway home. I bought a pumpkin at the Salvation Army thrift shop, got a frapuccino at Starbuck's and settled in for the long second half. I had intended to stop in Sioux Falls but I-29 south bypasses the city so I ended up in a tiny town mid-afternoon getting BK because it's all there was. I got to Fremont around 5:00, hit Aldi for a few groceries and was home in time for supper. I must be getting old though because I was absolutely exhausted. Sleeping on an air mattress at Connie's might have had something to do with that though. I didn't have the energy to get back in the car to go to knitting so just unpacked and ate dinner.

Tuesday was back to the grind and I had a full training class that afternoon so had barely gotten caught up before I was teaching. I had a couple of zooms on Wednesday and taught again on Thursday then Friday was the first of the month so was full with deans reports. Talk about a week that flew by!

Book club was Thursday night and there was a bit of a snafu getting the books. I had planned to work on campus Wednesday but that didn't happen so I tried to find someone to pick them up but ended up arranging to have someone who lives in Wahoo but works at the Library Commission bring them. Then he forgot them on Wednesday but they arrived just before we met at 7:00 on Thursday. We discussed The Authenticity Project, which I had read in May. I liked it and we had a good discussion. 

I had nothing planned for the weekend, which was just what I needed. By Saturday afternoon, I was ready for a project. I had recently found the list I made when they first sent us home to flatten the curve, when I thought we'd be back to work in 6 weeks. Despite it being 1.5 years since then, most of the list was not done. 

The thing I decided to tackle was the cupboards under the bar. They had been badly organized since I bought my house 22 years ago. I pulled everything out and culled a bunch of stuff I never use. In the middle of all this, a friend stopped by and came into my house, which is a rarity these days since I don't have people over. The kitchen was a wreck with piles of stuff on every surface and on the floor. She took a few things that were destined for donation and left, after which I put everything back in better order. Now the things I use most are on the top shelf. Yay!

When I was done with that project, I did something I haven't done in ages. It was only possible because I was reading an actual book instead of on my iPad. I made a cup of tea and sat on the deck and read. It was SO enjoyable and I was reading a great book that my cousin recommended - The Rose Code about code breakers at Bletchley Park during World War II. Between the gorgeous weather, the tea and a great book, I was so happy. What a lovely day!

I was up early on Sunday and had all my chores done early. I had a few errands to run in town and then ran to Colon, a town 6 miles north of Wahoo, for their annual roast beef dinner. It was $15, which was up from 2 years ago but I get 2 big meals out of it and it's a fundraiser so.... I was back home and eating lunch by 11:30 so decided I should keep going on cupboards. I started with the cupboard above the bar, which has glass on one side. I culled bunches from that too and rearranged it so my pretty china is showing nicely through the glass. With that done, I decided to get out my step stool and do the way high up cupboards, which were chock full of crap. Most of that went into the donation boxes and I ended up with some empty cupboards. It felt great to slog though it all.

So after starting with a LONG day of driving, I had a quick work week and a super productive weekend. Now if I can keep the productivity going. I hope so. The cooler weather is an inspiration so at least that's going for me. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment